A Vegetarian Cabbage Soup recipe that's healthy, flavorful and easy to make in the crockpot. A comforting dinner that comes together with only a handful of ingredients. Vegan, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Healthy, Easy.
Okay, so for starters let me just say this Vegetarian Cabbage Soup is the best recipe for cabbage soup ever!
It's perfectly seasoned with just the right amount of spice and it will have you rethinking cabbage soup.
Seriously though it doesn't get any easier to make a warm delicious healthy dinner from a head of cabbage.
And since it's easy to make in the crockpot with only a few ingredients including cabbage, you'll probably want to add this one into the rotation.
- Vegetable broth- low sodium broth was used but it's not necessary. It just helps you to be able to control the salt.
- Fire roasted tomatoes- I don't recommend substituting these. Fire roasted tomatoes add smokiness and the perfect amount of sweetness to the soup.
- Onion- Yellow or Sweet onion recommended.
- Jalapeño - remove the seeds prior to dicing.
How to make cabbage soup
Full directions are in recipe card below
First thing you'll need to do is chop the veggies. Peel and dice the carrots into bite sized pieces.
Chop the cabbage and dice the celery and onion.
Cut the ends of jalapeño, slice in half and remove seeds. I recommend scraping them out with a spoon.
Important note- Always make sure to wash your hands thoroughly after cutting up jalapeño’s .
Place all the ingredients in the crockpot reserving the tomato paste till end of cooking.
Storing this soup
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also freeze this soup for longer storage.
What to serve with it
Almost any kind of bread works well. If you're trying stay low carb these Almond Flour biscuits would work great!
I also love it with this Brazilian cheese bread.
You could also just serve it with some cracker.
Other soup recipes
Vegetarian Cabbage Soup (Gluten-Free, Vegan)
- Place all the above ingredients in the slow cooker reserving the tomato paste and wine for last 2 hours of cooking.
- Cook on high 4 hours, then add tomato paste and wine.
- Turn slow cooker down to low and cook another 2 hours.
Updated- originally posted December 2016