Tomato Soup is just a great tasting classic soup. Bursting with fresh flavors of tomatoes making it perfect for lunch or dinner. Vegan, Vegetarian, and Gluten Free.
I love making homemade soups. One of my favorite tools for doing this is my Immersion blender. It definitely comes in handy for this Tomato Soup and so many more I will share in future posts.
So if you don’t already own one I would recommend getting one. Just makes the whole process a lot easier.
Now on to the Tomato soup. This pairs nicely with a green salad or great served along side a grilled cheese sandwich. In the cooler weather I always find myself making a lot more soups.
Because there is just something comforting about sitting down with a warm bowl of soup on a cold day.
Kind of like pulling out a good book and reading for hours. Or curled up on the bed watching a great movie <— That’s kind of what the Fall is all about to me! And of course soup just goes along with all that.
Relaxing comes in so many forms. I love creating new recipes and writing about them. What are some of your favorite relaxing moments?
Most of mine entail the simpler things in life…alone time, journaling, running in the park or even watching the snow fall.
So next time you’re having one of those special moments put a big pot of Tomato soup on and make it even better!
Tomato Soup is perfect to have because:
- It’s a classic and goes great with many things
- Chocked full of tomatoes and basil
- Makes you appreciate the simpler things in life
- Vegan, Vegetarian, and Gluten free
- 1 1/2 tbsp. butter*
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 stalk of celery diced
- 1/4 cup of red onion diced
- 1/4 cup of yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 1/2 cups of fresh diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of strained tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. of basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine* *
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter with olive oil over medium high heat
- Add carrot, celery, garlic, onions with 1 tsp. salt and saute about 5-6 minutes
- Then add basil, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, bay leaf and continue cooking about another minute
- Add diced tomatoes, strained tomatoes & remaining ingredients
- Bring to boil
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer about 30-45 minutes
- Taste for salt and pepper
- Remove from heat and let cool about 10 minutes
- Make sure to remove bay leaf at this time(you don't want to blend it)
- Then with your immersion blender slowly blend your tomatoes and vegetables to the consistency you like
- Put soup back on low heat and continue to cook another 15 minutes
*Vegan option use all olive oil for sauteing veggies