A Sweet Potato Soup recipe that's creamy, savory and with just a hint of sweetness. A healthy comforting soup perfect for the Fall and Winter months. Vegan, Gluten-free, Healthy, Easy, Dairy-free.
So with soup season being in full swing now, I'm always looking for easy ways to jazz it up a bit!
And this creamy sweet potato soup recipe is everything you want in a comforting bowl of soup.
It's silky smooth and loaded with healthy wholesome ingredients that are bursting with Fall flavors.
Serve it up with a side of these almond flour biscuits for an easy weeknight dinner!
Ingredients for sweet potato soup
- Sweet potatoes
- Vegetable broth
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
How to make sweet potato soup
Start by prepping all your vegetables which you can easily do in advance.
Add olive oil to large soup pan over medium heat.
Dice the. onion, carrots, and garlic and add to pot and cook until just translucent several minutes.
Then add the seasoning and stir to combine.
Stir in diced peeled sweet potatoes and vegetable broth and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and cook until potatoes are tender approximately twenty minutes.
Remove from heat, allow to cool several minutes and blend with an immersion blender to desired consistency.
Stir in lime juice and tahini and serve immediately.
Recipe notes and substitutions
If topping with roasted chickpeas I recommend making those in advance of preparing the soup.
They can easily be roasted in a 400 degree oven drizzled with olive oil and your favorite seasonings. Make sure to rinse and thoroughly dry them before roasting.
You can swap out the tahini with cashew butter or almond butter or even leave it out all together. I recommend it since it adds a mild flavor that yields extra creamy soup.
This soup can be made in advance and stored in a covered container in the fridge for 4-5 days. Just make sure to cool completely before storing.
For longer storage you can freeze in airtight freezer safe containers or bags.
More soup recipes
Sweet Potato Soup Recipe (Vegan, Gluten free)
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 large/ or 2 small carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ginger
- dash of red chili pepper flakes
- 3 ½ - 4 cups chopped sweet potatoes 1 large and 2 small/medium potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- optional toppings:
- roasted chickpeas parsley, tahini drizzle
- In large dutch oven heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic, & carrots.
- Cook 2-3 minutes till translucent.
- Add spices and cook another minute till fragrant.
- Add sweet potatoes and vegetable broth, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and cook over medium heat approximately 20 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool several minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, carefully blend till smooth & creamy.
- Add tahini and lime juice and stir.
- Serve immediately with any additional toppings.
- Can be stored covered in fridge for up to five days or can freeze for up to 3 months.
Updated- originally posted September 2017