An easy Chickpea Soup recipe that comes together in about 30 minutes. And made by using a few pantry staples. Chickpeas paired with fragrant masala seasoning make a hearty delicious soup. Vegan, Gluten free, Healthy, Dairy free.
And soup is always one of our go to meals this time of year!
Along with this Slow Cooker Black Bean Chili!
They're both easy to prepare meals perfect for the cooler months.
And I love that you can make them using easy to find pantry ingredients.
This Chickpea soup recipe is made with pantry staples and a few fragrant seasonings you typically find in garam masala.
What is garam masala?
It's a blend of ground Indian spices. Which usually consists of cumin, coriander, cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon to name a few.
The blend of all of these seasonings together in this chickpea soup is what makes it special.
This recipe is inspired by an Indian dish called Chana Masala. An Indian dish made with chickpeas and masala.
- Tomato paste
- Fire roasted tomatoes
- Vegetable Broth
- Seasonings- masala seasoning, cumin, ginger, cinnamon and turmeric
How to make this soup
You can find full directions in the recipe card below.
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pan. Saute the chopped onion and garlic till translucent.
Add in seasonings and stir till fragrant. Mix in remaining ingredients, bring to boil then reduce to simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
Recipe notes, tips and substitutions
I used canned cooked chickpeas in this recipe, but you can use dried chickpeas and cook them yourself if preferred.
There are different types of masala seasonings. I recommend using either garam masala or tandoori masala in this recipe.
Masala is just simply a blend of spices used in Indian cooking.
Other soups you make like
Masala Chickpea Soup Recipe (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 jalapeno diced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon masala seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes 14.5 oz
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 cans chickpeas rinsed and drained 27 oz
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- In large dutch oven or soup pan add olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add seasonings stir and cook another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes with lid slightly ajar.
- Taste for salt & pepper
- garnish with additional cilantro
Updated- originally posted December 2016