This Cauliflower Mac n Cheese is an easy, creamy delicious twist on traditional mac n cheese. Cauliflower combined with beans for added protein and then layered in a cheesy sauce. Perfect for a side at gatherings or a complete family meal. Gluten Free & Low carb.
Updated- originally posted September 2015
And since Mac n Cheese was pretty much always a staple in the house…. especially when the children were younger , then I knew I needed to create healthier versions of an aged old favorite.
So by adding lots of veggies to all this cheesy goodness it felt more like something I’d feel good about serving as a meal. 😉
And cauliflower has definitely been one of my go to substitutes for so many foods. Since it tends to take on all the flavors you add to it.
Who’d have thought??? All this creamy, gooey goodness could be good for ya!
And If spicy foods are some of your favorites…
Then you may wanna try this version below for Cauliflower Mac n Cheese….
It’s one of my favorites that I make on the repeat and super popular on the blog. And since it’s made in the slow cooker it’s perfect to make anytime.
In need of a little more Cauliflower inspiration:
Then check out these goodies!
- 4 Ingredient Blueberry Cauliflower Smoothie
- Spicy Baked Cauliflower Cheese Bites
- Baked Honey BBQ Cauliflower Wings
- 7 Ingredient Cauliflower Hash Browns
And this is only a handful of the cauliflower recipes on the blog. Be sure to follow along by signing up at the bottom of this post for FREE recipes and never miss any of the inspiration.
Cauliflower & Cannelli Bean Mac n Cheese
- 1 medium to large cauliflower broken into small bite size pieces***
- 1 11-14 ounce can cannelli beans rinsed
- 3/4 cup half & half
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 4 to 6 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 4 to 6 ounces monterey jack cheese grated
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- handful of freshly chopped dill weed
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degree. Butter 13x9 casserole dish
- Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Carefully add cauliflower florets
- Cook 7-8 minutes until fork tender. Drain well
- Rinse cannelli beans and add to bottom of casserole dish
- Add drained cauliflower to top of cannelli beans
- Meanwhile in medium sauce pan melt butter on low heat
- Once butter is melted stir in cornstarch until thickened slightly into roux
- Add mustard, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt & pepper
- Stir in half & half and continue stirring until mixture thickens slightly
- Add greek yogurt and continue stirring a few more minutes
- Add 3/4 cup of the grated cheese mixture(montery jack & cheddar) and continue cooking till cheese is melted
- Remove sauce from heat and pour over the cauliflower and cannelli beans
- Mix gently to coat cauliflower and beans
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese and fresh dill
- Bake in preheated oven 35-40 minutes until bubbly and slightly browned on top
- Allow to sit 10 minutes prior to serving