These Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are the perfect side dish for the Holiday table. Creamy, sweet and topped with crunchy pecans toasted in cinnamon & butter. A healthy nutritious side that can be served year around and also great for a special brunch. Gluten Free, No Added Refined Sugar, Healthy.
Twice baked potatoes have always been one of my favorite ways to switch up potatoes...
They take ordinary potatoes from plain to fabulous with just a few simple ingredients..
And this recipe using sweet potatoes is no exception.
So if you want to WOW your family or guests this holiday then you really need to add these twice baked sweet potatoes to the table.
HOW TO MAKE TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES
(full detailed instructions in recipe card below)
First you want to start by preheating the oven..
Then line a baking sheet with parchment paper- I promise this is going to save you from a messy clean up.
Wash the potatoes and prick them in several places with a fork before placing on baking sheet.
Bake in preheated oven till you can easily pierce the potato with a fork. Remove from the oven and lower oven temperature.
Allow to cool slightly before removing top of potatoes.
Along with your cooked sweet potatoes(I used white sweet potatoes) you're going need.....
- Butter- unsalted
- Maple syrup
- Cream Cheese
- Chopped Pecans
Once the potatoes have cooled slightly (about ten minutes) cut off the top of each potato and scoop out the flesh into a bowl.
Mix in butter and cream cheese using a hand mixer.
Then stir in maple syrup and seasonings.
Spoon mixture back into skins and....
Return to the oven and warm through... top with toasted pecans right before serving.
RECIPE TIPS FOR TWICE BAKED SWEET POTATOES
- Put the butter and cream cheese on bottom of the bowl before scooping the potato flesh on top and mixing
- Use uniform sized potatoes for even cooking times
- Allow the butter and cream cheese to come to room temperature
- Make sure you're using good quality ingredients
- Once you scoop out the potato flesh place shells back in the oven to crisp up for a bit
- When making twice baked sweet potatoes I find they hold their shape better by just cutting off the top instead of slicing them in half
CAN I MAKE THESE AHEAD
Yes... you can easily make these ahead and just reheat the day of. I'd leave the pecans off and add those the day of when warming them.
They will store in an airtight covered dish for 3-5 days in the fridge.
OTHER HOLIDAY SIDES TO SERVE WITH THESE.....
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time-xoxo
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes (Gluten Free)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub and wash potatoes well and then pierce in several places with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven approximately 30-40 minutes until you can stick fork into potatoes easily.
- Remove from the oven, reduce temperature to 350 degrees and allow potatoes to cool about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile add butter and cream cheese to medium mixing bowl.
- Cut top off each potato and scoop potato flesh into mixing bowl.
- While mixing the potatoes add the potato skins back to the oven to crisp up a bit.
- Mix potatoes, butter, and cream cheese with hand mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add cinnamon and maple syrup and mix till combined.
- Remove skins from oven after about 10 minutes or till desired crispness and fill with potato mixture.
- Top with toasted pecans and return to the oven for about 15 more minutes
- Melt ½ tbsp. of butter on stovetop over medium heat and add chopped pecans.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and stir.
- Toast for about 5-6 minutes till they become fragrant.
- Spoon on top of sweet potatoes.
Updated- originally posted January 2016