These Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are easy to make in one pan. Thinly sliced potatoes, onions, garlic and a cheesy sauce all layered together and baked till golden brown. Perfect to serve at holiday gatherings or potlucks. Gluten Free, Easy.
Comfort food at it's finest equates to Potatoes... even better Cheesy Potatoes!
So when it comes to the holidays or any kind of gathering you simply can't go wrong with a pan of Scalloped Potatoes.
But then cover them in a cheesy sauce with onions and garlic and it's pure perfection.
Seriously one of my favorite recipes which is why it's getting a much needed remake today...
So I could share updated information and tips on how to make these easy cheesy scalloped potatoes... along with some updated photos as well.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES
I would have to say the most time consuming part is peeling and slicing the potatoes...
Well other then the time it takes to bake them.
One way you can save time on slicing is by using a mandoline. And this is mandoline I own.
Which is really pretty efficient for making these but unfortunately only gets used when the husband is around ....
Cause I prefer to slice them by hand myself rather then using a really sharp object like the mandoline.
Once you get them peeled and sliced I like to put them in a bowl of cold water to keep them from browning while I'm preparing the sauce and chopping onions and garlic.
CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES RECIPE INGREDIENTS
- Russet potatoes
- Half & half cream
- Sour cream
Once you've gathered and measured out the ingredients it's pretty easy. The cheesy sauce is made starting with a roux consisting of cornstarch, butter and seasonings....
Then you'll add the half & half cream and sour cream and simmer till thickened. Turn off burner and add cheese.. stir till melted and gooey.
Layer the chopped onions & garlic over the potatoes, the cheesy sauce, and repeat... Top with extra shredded cheese...
Cover and bake and remove cover last 15 minutes of baking for additional cooking and browning time.
TIPS FOR MAKING CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES
- Make sure to thinly slice the potatoes- mine are approximately ⅛ inch thick
- Prep all ingredients prior to starting
- Use freshly grated cheese that you've grated yourself- don't buy the shredded bags
- Grease the pan with butter, olive oil or cooking spray
- Cover the pan with parchment paper and then foil on top of that- keeps stuff from sticking
- Carefully remove the cover at the end- there will be a lot of steam
- You can broil the top the last few minutes to get a golden brown top- just make sure to watch it carefully
- Allow to cool thoroughly before storing in the fridge
CAN I MAKE THESE AHEAD
This is definitely a great make ahead recipe. Especially since it takes a while to bake.
If I'm planning on serving this for the holidays I'll usually make them a day or two ahead in advance.
They are also super yummy as leftovers and re-heat easily.
OTHER YUMMY HOLIDAY SIDES ....
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time- xoxo
Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes (Gluten Free)
- 2 ½ - 3 lbs russet potatoes
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. ground mustard seed
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 2 cups half & half cream
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup white cheddar chese
- ¼ parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- Butter casserole dish generously with butter, cooking spray or olive oil and set aside.
- Peel potatoes and thinly slice. After peeling them set them in a large bowl of cold water as this helps remove some starch. Drain and rinse one more time.
- Chop onions and mince garlic and place in small bowl. I also put the spices in a bowl to combine.
- Meanwhile to make cheesy sauce melt butter over medium heat in sauce pan. Stir in cornstarch, garlic powder, ground mustard, and papirka to form roux.
- Stir in half & half cream and sour cream and whisk about 8-10 minutes till starting to thicken.
- Turn off heat add cheese reserving 1 cup of cheddar and parmesan cheese for topping.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes on bottom of casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with half the chopped onion and garlic.
- Top with half the cheese sauce.
- Repeat layers starting with remaining potatoes.
- End by topping with additional cheese.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and carefully remove cover and continue to bake another 15 minutes.
- Allow at least 10 minutes to cool prior to serving.
Updated- originally posted November 2016