This Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin is creamy, delicious and baked to perfection in a mild cheesy white sauce. An easy side dish that’s a great addition to the holidays or perfect to serve for date night or a special family dinner. Gluten Free, Easy.
Brussel Sprouts….. okay so it seems that most people either love these little mini cabbages or totally won’t even give them a chance…
There seems to be no in between or convincing to those who say they don’t like brussel sprouts.
I on the other hand, just happen to be on the spectrum of can’t seem to get enough of them.
Both of which would be wonderful additions to the Holiday menu….
But if you really want to convert the “non brussel sprouts lovers” in the group…. then show up with a pan of these creamy cheesy Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin.
Cause sometimes all it takes is covering veggies in a delicious au gratin and baking till bubbly & golden brown on top to win folks over. 😁
HOW TO MAKE BRUSSEL SPROUTS AU GRATIN
The first thing you’ll want to do is prep all your ingredients.
And I find this true with almost any recipe… having everything chopped, diced and measured out just makes the process go so much smoother.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS AU GRATIN
- Brussel Sprouts
- Corn Starch
- Half & Half Cream
Then for the brussel sprouts you need to start by removing outer leaves, cutting off bottom stem and then slice in half.
Once you’ve done this you want to blanch them in a pot of salted boiling water.
While they are blanching you can start preparing the cheesy sauce. When the sprouts are done blanching just drain them well in put in a large casserole pan.
Once the cheese sauce is done you mix it with the brussel sprouts and then top with extra cheese.
Then pop it in a pre heated oven and bake till bubbly and golden brown.
HOW TO STORE BRUSSEL SPROUTS AU GRATIN
Allow it to cool thoroughly before covering and storing in the fridge if you don’t plan to eat it same day.
You can also freeze it in smaller portions in airtight freezer bags or containers.
It will keep in a covered airtight container in the fridge for up to a week… and easily re heats.
MORE BRUSSEL SPROUTS INSPIRATION…..
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time- xoxo
Brussel Sprouts Au Gratin
- 2 lbs. brussels sprouts
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups half & half cream
- 2 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Meanwhile bring large pot of salted water to boil.
- Remove outer leaves from brussels sprouts, trim bottom and slice in half.
- Put brussels sprouts in boiling water and cook about 5-7 minutes(you just want to blanch them).
- Drain and place in casserole dish.
- Meanwhile melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add corn starch and chopped onion and stir a couple minutes to form a roux.
- Add half & half cream and stir frequently till slightly thickened 3-5 mins.
- Add 2 cups of Grueyere cheese and stir until melted.
- Pour over brussels sprouts and stir to combine.
- Top with additional Grueyere cheese and place in preheated oven.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
Updated- originally posted December 2016