Sage Cornbread Stuffing is a simple yet classic recipe. Cornbread flavored with sage, onions, celery, and garlic is an easy, tasty side perfect for the holiday or any meal. Both Vegetarian and Gluten-Free.
So if you’re anything like me you’ve probably already meticulously started planning your holiday menu…negative, not even close.
With Thanksgiving being only two weeks away for my American readers you REALLY need to be ready.
And even though I’m not really that much of a planner…definitely tend to always be winging things…I do like to make sure to serve up a few of the classics.
Cause Guys let’s face it, it just wouldn’t be Thanksgiving without the stuffing.
So it’s one of those recipes I always seem to be perfecting.
But today I’m sharing my BEST yet version of stuffing ⇒ Sage Cornbread Stuffing.
Which should definitely start with a good cornbread recipe. Then once you’ve got the cornbread right you need the precise amount of seasonings & liquid.
Believe me when I say this, since I’ve been experimenting with getting this exact for a while.
And even though sage is the star ingredient in this recipe you need to make sure you start with a good base of bread.
The bread needs to be dry so if you’re not using old bread just make sure to put it in the oven for about 10 minutes while pre-heating the oven for this recipe.
The cornbread can be made several days ahead so it’s ready to go when you are.
Hence making this recipe as easy as possible and one less thing to worry about the day of.
So Sage Cornbread Stuffing needs to make it’s way to your table since….
- It’s Easy to prepare & can be made ahead
- Leaving you one less thing to worry about the day of
- Stuffing belongs on the Holiday table
- Sage is a must have ingredient in a classic stuffing
- Gluten Free & Vegetarian
Hope you get a chance to Enjoy this Stuffing over the Holidays 🙂
Sage Cornbread Stuffing (Gluten-Free)
- Ingredients for cornbread recipe:
- 1 cup organic yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp. GF baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- ½ cup plain full fat greek yogurt
- ¾ cup half & half cream
- 2 eggs
- Rest of ingredients for stuffing:
- 6 slices of gluten free bread*
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely diced
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. each thyme & rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 1/2 cups veggie broth
- 2 eggs
- Instructions for cornbread recipe:
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- Lightly grease 9 X 9 square baking pan.
- Put all the dry ingredients in large mixing bowl and combine.
- In separate small bowl combine wet ingredients.
- Carefully combine the wet into the dry ingredients making sure not to over mix.
- Pour into baking pan and bake in preheated oven about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Instructions for stuffing recipe:
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Place cubed cornbread and bread on large baking sheet while oven is preheating about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile melt butter on stove top. Add onion, celery, and garlic.
- Cook about 5- 6 minutes till translucent. Add thyme, rosemary, sage, and salt and cook another minute till fragrant.
- In small bowl beat eggs & add veggie broth to eggs.
- In large buttered casserole dish add cubed cornbread and bread.**
- Pour onion, garlic, celery mixture over bread and combine.
- Then add broth, egg mixture and combine well.
- Bake in preheated oven covered 40-45 minutes.
**Just tear the bread slices into bite sized pieces.