This Cornbread Stuffing recipe is flavorful and super easy to make with cornbread cubes and bread. A classic stuffing recipe flavored with sage, onions, celery, and garlic. Comfort food that is not only good for the holiday but perfect to serve with meals all winter long. Gluten Free, Easy.
So when it comes to holiday sides or sides in general I must admit stuffing is at the TOP of my list!
It's just one of those things that goes well with almost anything....
But the list could go on and on and on...
Cause stuffing kinda complements all of it and is always a must have on our holiday table.
HOW TO MAKE CORNBREAD STUFFING
(See recipe card below for Full Instructions)
The first thing you'll want to do is prepare the cornbread...
And this is actually better if you can do it a day or two in advance. Cause you actually want the cornbread and bread to be on the dry side to achieve the best results.
Once you've got the bread part covered the rest is pretty easy.
So here's what you'll need for this cornbread stuffing recipe...
- Cornbread cubes and bread cubes
- Vegetable broth
- Butter- unsalted
CAN I MAKE THIS WITH JUST CORNBREAD
Yes... you could use only cornbread cubes if you prefer. But personally I like it better mixed with a few bread slices.
Next you will add the diced onion, celery and garlic to pan with the melted butter. Sauté it till translucent a few minutes.
Then you'll add the seasoning in and stir for another minute. Mix this with your dried bread cubes and bake.
CAN I MAKE THIS AHEAD
Yes you can easily make this ahead and check one more dish off your to do list early...
It will store in a covered airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
RECIPE TIPS FOR BEST RESULTS
Make the cornbread a couple days in advance so it has time to dry out a bit...
You could also dry it out in the oven along with the bread the day of if short on time.
Cut the cornbread and bread into small bite sized cubes.
Use good quality fresh ingredients for optimal flavor... make sure seasonings are fresh.
MORE RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE....
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time-xoxo
Sage Cornbread Stuffing (Gluten Free, Easy)
- Ingredients for cornbread recipe:
- 1 ½ cups organic yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 2 ½ tsps. GF baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. butter- melted
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup half & half cream
- 3 eggs
- Rest of ingredients for stuffing:
- 4 slices gluten free bread*
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 cloves garlic
- 6 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. each thyme & rosemary
- 1 tsp. dried rubbed sage
- ½ tsp. salt
- 3 ½ cups veggie broth
- 2 eggs
- Instructions for cornbread recipe:
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- Lightly grease 8 X 8 square baking pan.
- Put all the dry ingredients in large mixing bowl and combine.
- In separate small bowl combine wet ingredients.
- Carefully combine the wet into the dry ingredients making sure not to over mix.
- Pour into baking pan and bake in preheated oven about 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Instructions for stuffing recipe:
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Place cubed cornbread and bread on large baking sheet while oven is preheating to dry out more if necessary. approximately 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile melt butter on stove top. Add onion, celery, and garlic.
- Cook about 5- 6 minutes till translucent. Add thyme, rosemary, sage, and salt and cook another minute till fragrant.
- In small bowl beat eggs & add veggie broth to eggs.
- In large buttered casserole dish add cubed cornbread and bread.**
- Pour onion, garlic, celery mixture over bread and combine.
- Then add broth, egg mixture and combine well.
- Bake in preheated oven covered 40-45 minutes.
**Just tear the bread slices into bite sized pieces. Dry the bread out prior to making the stuffing
Updated- originally posted November 2017