Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese made on the stovetop that's creamy, cheesy and delicious. A great way to sneak extra nutrition into a classic comfort food. Easy, Gluten Free, Healthy.
Okay, so I can't think of a better way to sneak in some extra nutrition than with a creamy bowl of Mac and Cheese.
It's always been one of my favorite comfort foods so making it healthier was a no brainer.
Butternut squash is often prepared as a vegetable... but did you know it's technically considered a fruit.
So whether you considered it a vegetable or fruit it's still loaded with so many great nutrients.
It's slightly sweet, nutty and similar in my opinion to the flavor of sweet potatoes. So it compliments the flavors of Mac and Cheese perfectly!
How to make butternut squash mac and cheese
You want to start by preparing the pasta- you can use any shape pasta you prefer. Although I tested this recipe with several different types and liked it best with chickpea pasta shells.
Next you'll want to prepare the squash- and there are several options here as well... Since I wanted to keep it simple I used frozen already cubed butternut squash.
Saves time and is much easier than peeling and cutting up a butternut squash.
You can also find cut up butternut squash in the produce section in some supermarkets.
Cook the squash on the stovetop till tender and puree it in a food processor or high powered blender... set aside.
Next prepare the sauce and lastly add in the cooked pasta.
- Butternut Squash
- Vegetable Broth
- Half & Half Cream
What to serve with it
A green salad is always a good option.
Roasted veggies... such as broccoli or roasted green beans.
Tomato soup also goes great with this.
Store in airtight containers in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Other recipes you may like
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time- xoxo
Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese (Gluten Free)
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- Bring ½ cup vegetable broth to a boil. Add cubed buttenut squash and cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer squash about 8-10 minutes till can easily be pierced with a fork
- Remove from heat and blend in food processor or high powered blender till it's pureed and set aside.
- Meanwhile melt butter in large sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook approximately 1 minute.
- Then add thyme, dried mustard, and cornstarch and stir till incorporated forming a roux.
- Add butternut squash puree, half & half cream and continue to cook about 6-8 minutes or until the sauce is starting to thicken.
- Turn down heat to low and add shredded cheese and stir till melted.
- Add cooked pasta and combine.
- Serve immediately or keep warm.