This Roasted Beet Salad recipe is a simple healthy salad where beets are the star ingredient. Great served alone for a nutritious light dinner or the perfect side to serve when having guests. Beets tossed with an orange citrus dressing and topped on a bed of Arugula. Vegan, Gluten Free, Easy, Healthy.
Okay so beets are just one of those veggies that I somehow miss or seem to neglect picking up when doing the weekly shopping trip.
And NOT because I don't love them.... I guess just lack of inspiration sometimes on how to serve them.
But seriously, they couldn't be easier to prepare and they're wonderful served alone or in this Roasted Beet Salad recipe.
How to make roasted beet salad
First of all let's get started with the beets...
And I know they may look a little intimidating when you see them in the supermarket...
Cause personally I know I kind of struggle getting them in the bag. 🤔
But after that it's really pretty easy to prepare them once you get them home.
Just trim off the leafy green stalks. Then cut off both ends of the beets and give them a wash.
Wrap them up in foil, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper and roast in pre heated oven...
Carefully open the foil packets and allow to cool before cutting into cubes.
Once you have those ready the rest of the salad comes together fairly quickly..
How to prep beets
Start by cutting the roasted beets up into bite sized cubes....
Then drizzle them with about half of the Viniagrette and stir till evenly coated.
Ingredients for salad
- Orange- to juice for Viniagrette
- Mandarin Oranges
- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
Recipe tips and substitutions
The recipe comes together quickly if you've prepped the beets in advance...
So say if I'm making the salad for dinner that night, then I'll cook the beets early in the day so they'll be ready to go.
And that makes it really simple to throw together the salad when ready to serve
You can easily swap out the Arugula for any of your favorite greens and you can also swap out the nuts or leave them off altogether.
Pecans are what I had available, but you could also use walnuts, slivered almonds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
Can I make this salad ahead
You can certainly prep all the ingredients ahead so it comes together quickly when you're ready to serve.
Just store the beets in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
And the Viniagrette in a covered glass jar will be good for up to five days.
Other salad recipes....
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time-xoxo
Roasted Beet Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 6 small/med beets
- 4 cups arugula
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- 1 mandarin orange
- 3 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil plus some for beets
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Trim stalks off beets, slice off both sides and wash.
- Wrap beets in foil and drizzle with a little olive oil, salt & pepper to taste.
- Bake in pre heated oven 45 minutes or until can easily pierce with a fork.
- Allow to cool before removing from the foil and cutting into cubes.
- Drizzle with half the viniagrette reserving some for topping on salad.
- Place greens in large salad bowl topped with beets, chopped nuts and mandarin orange slices.
- Drizzle with viniagrette and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Mix fresh squeezed orange juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and salt & pepper to taste in jar and shake well.