This Red Cabbage Salad is fresh, light and flavorful. Shredded cabbage, and carrots lightly dressed with a maple vinaigrette. The perfect side with any meal or even great served on top of veggie burgers or sandwiches. Gluten Free, Vegan, No Refined Sugars.
So when the warmer months start approaching I always think lots more salads.
And rightly so I think....
With grilling in the mix and a lot more outdoor activities planned it just makes sense to have lots of salads on hand.
Especially since you can easily make them ahead and with no oven required...
Which is sometimes a welcome break when the weather starts heating up.
And this Red Cabbage Salad is based off a recipe the hubby used to make years ago....
One he really loved and used to make for gatherings which was always a favorite with everyone.
But since he couldn't find the original recipe he used to make and really wanted me to come up with something close to it...
So I decided to re-create a salad that was similar but with a few tweaks of my own. So with hubby's approval there is now a version of "his recipe" on the blog.
What's needed for this Red Cabbage Salad?
- Red Cabbage... of course 😉
- Olive oil
- Pure Maple syrup
- Apple cider vinegar
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
Recipe tips for making this Salad:
- Shred the cabbage in long thin strips....
- And the red onion as well
- Allow the salad to marinate several hours for optimal flavor
- Add chopped walnuts prior to serving
What to serve with this salad.....
It's great with any kind of grilled veggies or even on top of veggie burgers.
Also perfect served alongside Potato Salad.
But really it goes with almost any of your favorite summer time meals...
Other tasty salad ideas to try....
AND IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time- xoxo
Red Cabbage Salad (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 1 medium head red cabbage shredded
- 2 large carrots shredded
- ½ large red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Thinly slice the cabbage and place into large salad bowl along with shredded carrots and red onion.
- Meanwhile in glass jar add all the dressing ingredients and shake vigorously.
- Pour over salad and stir till everything combined.
- Cover and refrigerate till ready to serve.
- Add chopped walnuts prior to serving.