A Chocolate Avocado Smoothie that is super easy to make with only 4 ingredients. Great for a quick breakfast or healthy snack that's also made without refined sugar. Vegan, Dairy free, Gluten free, Easy, Healthy.
An avocado smoothie recipe that's thick, creamy and loaded with tons of chocolatey goodness.
And if that isn't enough for you, it's also healthy and refined sugar free. So next time that chocolate craving hits I highly recommend this one!
Well along with this chocolate chia pudding or these dark chocolate truffles.
Cause sometimes you just need a little chocolate in your life!
Ingredients you'll need
- Avocado- you'll only need half of an avocado for this recipe. And you want to make sure it's a ripe avocado. You can freeze ripe avocado if needed. If using a frozen avocado the smoothie will be thicker.
pro tip- the avocado can be frozen before adding to the smoothie. Just cut in half, remove the seed and cut into smaller pieces and remove the skin. Lay on a parchment lined pan in the freezer till firm about 1 hour and then transfer to a freezer safe bag or container.
- Cacao powder- unsweetened or you could substitute with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Banana- make sure to use an over ripe banana that has been frozen prior to making the smoothie.
- Vanilla almond milk- unsweetened or any of your favorite plant based milks should work.
Recipe notes and tips
Make sure you're using a high powered blender for this. I love my Vitamix for this type of thing.
The banana needs to be overripe and frozen for optimal flavor.
It's optional whether or not you freeze the avocado.
How to make this avocado smoothie recipe
- Just put all of the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend till smooth and creamy.
- You can easily make the smoothie thicker or thinner if you prefer. Just adjust the amount of milk you add. Use less milk for thicker and add more to thin it out.
Garnish with extra chocolate if preferred and serve your delicious chocolate avocado smoothie...
Other cold drinks to enjoy
- Blueberry Smoothie - with a hidden veggie in it!
Creamy Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
- ½ ripe Avocado
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cacao powder
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- shaved dark chocolate for topping
- Place all of the above ingredients in blender and process until smooth and creamy.
- Top with chocolate.
Updated-originally posted July 2017
Can you please tell me the nutritional information of this delicious smoothie?
Thanks so much!
Hi Susan, I just updated the recipe card with the nutritional information! Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you so much Stephanie! This has become my very favorite breakfast smoothie. I also freeze the avocado once it is ripe and it makes the smoothie colder. Great recipe and so easy to throw together in the morning before heading out the door to go to work. Appreciate you doing that for me.
You're Welcome Susan! And thanks for the tip about freezing the Avocado! ❤️
I'm totally on chocolate spree lately and I would definitely love to have this delicious HEALTHY avo smoothie for breakfast. Yum!
It's crazy to think back that a decade ago if you said avocado smoothie people would look at you like you were nuts... I've never thought of adding chocolate to my avocado smoothies, will have to try it next time!
I too add avocado in my morning smoothie..love how it makes it a smooth and creamy drink. Adding chocolate was something I never thought of! Silly me. 🙂
I just happened to have seen this on pinterest today! It is a wonderful looking recipe. Thanks so much!
Welcome to LittleSugarSnaps
This looks incredibly hard to resist, so it's just as well it's actually a very healthy drink/ dessert.
This looks amazing! I need to try this!