Black Bean Cookies that are rich, fudgy and easy to make in one bowl. The perfect healthy chocolate cookie made with beans, that's refined sugar free, gluten free and dairy free.
These chocolate cookies are honestly so easy to make and the ultimate rich & fudgy black bean dessert!
And you can almost always find a can of black beans in my pantry, since they are so versatile and can be used in lots of recipes.
We love this black bean hummus recipe as an easy snack or appetizer.
Or for an easy lunch or dinner idea, this taco salad with black beans is a quick & healthy meal.
So if you're looking for a sweet treat or healthy meal then black beans are always a great option.
Ingredients for black bean cookies
Ingredient & recipe notes
- Black beans- I used canned black beans for this recipe although you could cook dried black beans.
- Maple syrup- You could substitute with another sweetener such as honey. If you like a sweeter cookie you could also add more maple syrup or honey.
- Coconut oil- Unrefined virgin coconut oil. Melt and allow to cool prior to adding to batter.
- Chocolate chips- Enjoy life dark chocolate chips were used, but you could substitute with any of your favorites.
How to make them
- Rinse and drain black beans and add to food processor along with maple syrup. Pulse until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients reserving the chocolate chips till last. Pulse again till everything is thoroughly incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a cookie scoop place equal portions on baking sheet and top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
They can be stored in an airtight container on the counter in a cool place for up to two days.
For longer storage you can refrigerate in covered container for up to a week.
They can also be frozen for longer storage in airtight containers or freezer bags.
- Any kind of nuts such as walnuts, pecans, or almonds.
- Chocolate chunks or candy pieces
You could also easily make this a black bean brownie recipe. Just spread the batter into an 8 x 8 square brownie pan instead of scooping them out as cookies.
Other chocolate treats
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time-xoxo
Chocolate Black Bean Cookies
- 1 15 ounce can black beans- drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil- unrefined
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile melt coconut oil on stove top and set aside.
- In food processor blend beans and maple syrup till you have a smooth consistency.
- Add remaining ingredients reserving chocolate chips till the end and pulse till everything is thoroughly incorporated.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Using a 2 tbsp. cookie scoop spoon equal portions out on baking sheet and gently press down with back of fork.
- Bake in preheated oven 15 minutes.
- Can top with additional chocolate chips if desired.
Updated from February 2019
Do you have a suggestion for replacing the coconut oil? We have nut allergies at my house amd can’t use coconut, peanut, or any tree nut.
Hi Leigh, I would suggest olive oil or even butter if you can have dairy. Let me know how it works out.
This was a really great base recipe that I worked from to make a tasty cake. I only had a 1/2 can of black beans, so I added banana. I also didn't have coconut flour, so I used buckwheat and tapioca. Finally, I added cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla. I baked it in a oiled pie dish for 20 minutes and sprinkled shaved chocolate over it when I took it out. It was delicious!
Thanks for sharing Kristi and glad it worked out well for you! 😘
I made a few modifications to your base recipe. I don’t particularly like maple syrup so I used honey. We didn’t have any coconut flour so use a the same amount of almond flour. Lastly I added butterscotch chips to this recipe. The recipe was a little thin so made in a brownie pan instead of cookies. Surprising better tasting than I was expecting!
Oh these look fantastic. So soft and so delicious. I bet these taste heavenly good. I can't wait to give it a try. I bet my boys will love it to.
Dairy Free and Gluten Free for the win! Thank you! I didn't have to adapt it to meet my dietary needs! So delicious!
I absolutely love this recipe! It's so easy and delicious! I'll definitely be making again!
I have tried black bean brownies before and wasn't a fan. But I am willing to try them again and give this recipe a try!
I made very similar cookies just recently! These look so delicious and I bet the texture is perfect!