This Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is a classic bowl of comfort with a healthy twist. Chocked-full of broccoli, mushrooms, quinoa & OF course cheese. A tasty, filling meal that is perfect for any night of the week (Gluten Free and Vegetarian).
Cause come on.... I mean really, who doesn't love to sit down to a big bowl of warm, creamy, gooey comfort food?
Pretty sure you might not be here reading this if you didn't!
But anyway, nothing makes me happier then a warm pan of comfort food waiting for me in the oven....Yesss please!
See there...I'm relatively easy when it comes to dinner, as long as it consists of some good quality proteins & nutrients as well.
Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is filled with sooo many healthy nutrients...
So to be honest comfort food & health-ish REALLY can all be in one sentence.
Especially since where talking Quinoa <---- which is pretty much a super food in itself swimming around with tons of broccoli, mushrooms & CHEESE!
Are you with me yet? Now how are you going turn down a big bowl of yummy super food..
And since it took me a while to actually jump on the quinoa bandwagon myself, I'm probably going to be sharing lots more quinoa goodies with ya in the near future.
Whether it be in salads, burgers or even sweet treats I can see quinoa making a presence...After all it has been called a "super food" and I'm not one to argue with that.
So let's start by summing up all reasons you may want to just start with this bake.
This Cheesy Broccoli Quinoa Casserole is....
- A classic bowl of comfort food with a health-ish twist
- Loaded with protein & nutrients
- Family friendly
- Easily made ahead
- Great served as leftovers
- Gluten Free & Vegetarian
OTHER CASSEROLES YOU MAY LIKE....
And if you make this recipe please be sure to let me know in the comments below!
Until next time- xoxo
Cheesy Broccoli Mushroom Quinoa Bake (Gluten Free)
- 1 cup quinoa uncooked
- 16 ounce bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ½ tbsp. butter divided
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms of choice sliced
- 1 ½ tbsp. corn starch
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt full-fat
- 1 ½ cups half & half cream
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. dried mustard
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter 9 x 13 casserole pan with ½ tbsp. butter.
- Rinse quinoa several times in cold water prior to cooking. See recipe notes.
- Then add quinoa & 2 ½ cups of water to medium saucepan. Bring to boil, reduce heat and cover. Cook 12-15 minutes till liquid absorbed. Set aside.
- While quinoa is cooking steam broccoli florets on stove top about 7-8 minutes and set aside.
- Meanwhile add 2 tbsp. butter & olive oil to skillet on stove top over medium heat. Add onion, garlic & cook 2-3 minutes.
- Next add sliced mushrooms, salt & pepper and continue to cook about 5 more minutes.
- Remove onion mushroom mixture from pan and set aside. Meanwhile in same pan add the remaining 2 tbsp. butter and corn starch to form roux.
- Add greek yogurt, half & half, garlic powder, & dried mustard. Continue to cook about 5-6 minutes until thickened. Pour the mushroom & onion mixture back into pan.
- Add half of shredded cheddar cheese and stir till melted about 1 more minute.
- Start by spooning cooked quinoa on bottom layer of buttered casserole dish and spread out evenly.
- Next layer steamed broccoli florets, followed by mushroom sauce & top with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.