Caramelized Cabbage & Spinach Salad has less than five ingredients and is Vegan and Gluten free. The caramelized cabbage with the spinach makes it a complete meal or would compliment just about anything else nicely.
This Caramelized Cabbage & Spinach Salad is one of my favorite salads to prepare. I’ve always been a big fan of caramelized onions. There is just something about the flavors of onions after they’ve been caramelized into all that gooey goodness.
And I can also say the same about cabbage. It doesn’t get much better than the aroma of some cabbage or onions caramelizing in a pan on top the stove.
If you’re a big fan of caramelized onions you may want to check out this Caramelized Onion & Cream Cheese Pizza. It’s a pizza you’ll find yourself making over and over again.
You could top it with additional ingredients if you like but this salad is packed with so much flavor from the caramelized cabbage that it doesn’t really need it.
I do have a confession to make when it comes to salads though. I might as well put it out there, right?
When I first met my husband that was one of the few things he really knew how to make well. That and bean burritos I believe. So I kind of went with that and always let him make our salads.
Hey, wouldn’t you guys do the same? I guess because of his love for salads he just always made them over the top 🙂
But once I started blogging and getting more creative with my recipes he just kind of gave the salad making back to me. Especially when he realized that I could actually make a tasty salad.
I guess I’m okay with that, but sometimes I really miss some of his creative little salads. Oh and bean burritos too. Ha ha.
Sometimes things just have a way of tasting better when they’re prepared for you. I’m sure most of you would agree that it’s occasionally nice to have a little break from the cooking.
This Caramelized Cabbage and Spinach Salad is:
- Vegan and Gluten free
- Packed full of awesome caramelized cabbage
- Totally healthy since it’s salad, right
- And comes together as a quick dinner
What’s not to love? So next time you’re looking for a salad to prepare I hope you’ll give this a try.
- 1 small head or half large head cabbage roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil divided
- ½ red onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 ounces spinach leaves
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add onion & garlic.
- Cook 1-2 minutes then sprinkle with ¼ tsp. salt. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add chopped cabbage and cook 5-6 minutes stirring several times.
- Add 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt & pepper to taste and garlic powder.
- Cook until browned & caramelized about 10-15 minutes longer. Add balsamic vinegar last minute of cooking.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place rinsed spinach leaves in large salad bowl and top with caramelized cabbage.
- Can drizzle with additional olive oil and balsamic vinegar(optional).