This Warm Spinach Salad with caramelized cabbage and onions requires only six ingredients plus seasoning. Cabbage caramelized together with onions takes this spinach salad from plain to Extraordinary. Vegan, Gluten Free, Easy.
So when it comes to salads sometimes it's so easy to just gravitate toward the usual ones.
Ya know like chopped lettuce, diced tomato and sliced onion kinda salads....
Or whatever else you normally would throw onto one.
But if you're looking to be a little more creative with salad making then.....
This Spinach Salad with caramelized cabbage needs to be on your list. ✔
Cause anytime you add caramelized veggies to the mix then....
Flavors are just naturally going to intensify. 🙌
And this salad is super easy to make.. soo perfect to serve any night of the week.
Basically just requires a little rough chopping....
And no special equipment needed.
What you'll need for this Warm Spinach Salad:
- Red Onion
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
So you see with just a few basic ingredients you can make a super flavorful, nutritious salad.
What can I serve with this Spinach Salad.....
Can I make this salad ahead:
It's actually great served cold and holds up well in the fridge.
But you can also store the caramelized onions and cabbage separately in a covered dish in the fridge...
Then heat that up right before you're ready to assemble the salad if you prefer the warmer version.
More salad ideas.....
AND IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Updated- originally posted June 2016
Until next time- xoxo
Caramelized Cabbage & Warm Spinach Salad
- 1 small head or half large head cabbage roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil divided
- ½ red onion roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 ounces spinach leaves
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add onion & garlic.
- Cook 1-2 minutes then sprinkle with ¼ tsp. salt. Cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add chopped cabbage and cook 5-6 minutes stirring several times.
- Add 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt & pepper to taste and garlic powder.
- Cook until browned & caramelized about 10-15 minutes longer. Add balsamic vinegar last minute of cooking.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place rinsed spinach leaves in large salad bowl and top with caramelized cabbage.
- Can drizzle with additional olive oil and balsamic vinegar(optional).