A Vegan Buddha Bowl is the perfect dish to add to meal prepping. This nutritious bowl is packed with rice, roasted chickpeas, butternut squash and red bell pepper. And topped with the best ever tahini dressing! Vegan, Gluten free, Healthy, Easy.
A buddha bowl is amazing on so many levels. It's healthy, hearty and packed with tons of flavor.
And the name alone just makes you feel all Zen like!
But best of all it's customizable with all your favorite proteins and veggies!
Another one of our favorite bowl recipes is this vegan Burrito Bowl. It's also great for meal prepping!
What is a buddha bowl
It's a one bowl meal that typically consists of a grain, a protein and an array of different veggies topped with a delicious sauce.
A balanced vegetarian meal consisting of several different foods. You can serve it hot or cold.
- Butternut squash- I used a bag of frozen butternut squash just for convenience, but you could easily swap that out for fresh squash.
- Rice- You can use any of your favorite rice here or you could swap out with quinoa or any other grain.
- Chickpeas- this is my favorite protein to use. But the chickpeas or garbanzo beans can be swapped out with black beans, tofu or your favorite vegetarian protein.
- Veggies- such as bell peppers, cabbage, broccoli, kale or whatever you have on hand would work.
- Dressing- I personally recommend and love a good tahini dressing. Some other options that would work well would be a peanut sauce, avocado dressing or a cashew butter dressing.
How to make a vegan buddha bowl
First you'll need to choose a grain for your bowl. I used rice in this bowl. Mainly since I always have it on hand along with quinoa, which would work equally as well.
Then decide your protein. I love using roasted seasoned chickpeas since they add a ton of flavor.
Next pick your veggies. I recommend including some greens, cabbage and roasted vegetables.
Roasted veggies just add another level of flavors. And you can easily roast frozen veggies such as butternut squash, broccoli, or bell peppers.
Buddha bowl sauces
I used a tahini sauce which is in the recipe card below.
Some other variations I would recommend would be a light lemon vinaigrette, a peanut sauce, or an avocado sauce.
Other recipes to make ahead
Vegan Buddha Bowl (Gluten Free, Easy)
- 1 16 ounce bag frozen butternut squash
- 1 cup rice cooked per package directions
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 cups red cabbage chopped
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas
- 2 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 cups Kale
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- tahini salad dressing to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place bag of frozen butternut squash in a medium mixing bowl
- Cut bell pepper into medium chunks and place in bowl with squash.
- Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil, salt & pepper to taste and mix well.
- Spread out on baking sheet and bake 20-25 until golden brown on edges.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile place chickpeas in small bowl with ½ tbsp. olive oil, salt & pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric. Mix well and place on baking sheet.
- Roast in oven about 15 minutes till you hear them popping(then you know they're done)
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare rice according to package directions( when done I seasoned it with a little olive oil, salt & pepper)
- Next rinse Kale leaves and remove hard stems. Place in bowl with olive oil, chopped garlic, salt & pepper and massage the kale with your hands till well blended.
- Layer bowl with cooked rice, roasted veggies, chickpeas, chopped red cabbage and massaged kale.
- Drizzle tahini salad dressing on as desired
Updated- originally posted January 2017
Jennifer A Stewart
I am so glad that the big salad trends are on their way out these gorgeous buddha bowls are in. I was never one for lots of rabbit food so the idea of using whole grains and roasted veggies make this new "salad" much more like comfort food and less like diet food!
I love buddha bowls! And the Tahini dressing sounds great! It's starting to get cold here too (finally) so I think this will curb my comfort food cravings and still satisfy.
I love making a complete meal in a bowl and this is so perfect. I love the flavors you have in the bowl. Looking at all the different kind of Buddha bowls one can make, it makes me want to try my own version soon.
Amy Katz from Veggies Save The Day
Buddha Bowls are the best! You have all my favorite ingredients here. So delicious!
Yes..the best! This was probably my favorite so far 🙂
I am getting know about buddha bowls lately, you made a delicious ones with chickpeas, butternut squash and kale. These are filling too. I can make it for my lunch, skipping the regular dishes which I make.
Thanks Swathiiyer! And they're very filling and satisfying!
I love pretty meals! This one is so full of color! I also like the idea of assembling the meal in one bowl. Sure makes clean up easier. I just had a butternut squash last week, but I'm thinking how good it would taste in this recipe, I'll be picking up another one.
Yeah, one bowl meals are some of my favorites 🙂
This sounds totally delicious. Love roasting veggies. Tahini has such a wonderful flavour. Perfect for any night of the week. Even meat lovers should be satisfied with this.
I really get super excited every time I see a new Buddha Bowl recipe. Are they not just the most beautiful and exciting thing to eat? I love how filling they are and how much food you get. Nothing worse than leaving a table still hungry, I always say. 🙂
Yes! And definitely satisfying. I have to agree you don't want to leave the table hungry:)
This is so so pretty! I love a good buddha bowl, and one with butternut squash is perfect for the season! Looks so yummy!
How perfect is this Buddha Bowl! Roasted veggies have so much flavor an tahini dressing is one of my favorites!!!
Abigail (Manila Spoon)
Any bowl loaded with roasted veggies, greens, a healthy grain and nuts would be considered super comfort food in my world! You surely made a delicious combo here! A must-try!
So many of my favorite ingredients in one bowl! I can't wait to give this deliciousness a try!
Julie | Bunsen Burner Bakery
I am on such a big tahini kick right now - I find a way to add it to everything. Love it as a dressing for "buddha bowls." I also always wonder why they got the name buddha bowl!
Stef, this is a true bowl of deliciousness 🙂 LOVE the veggies you used here - kale, cabbage, pepper and squash + healthy spices.... all winter MUST for keeping us healthy. Super flavorful and satisfying! Just one big YUM!
Thanks Natalie! It was definitely Yummy with the tahini dressing and roasted veggies 🙂
This is the first time that I hear about Buddha Bowls and sure thing, it sounds fantastic with so many healthy ingredients included...
I share your opinions about the term, "Buddha bowls". And I think you have done it justice with this recipe. So healthy looking and a lovely list of ingredients. Delicious.
You packed all of my favorite things into this delicious buddha bowl. I'm obsessed with tahini, butternut squash and peppers. Cannot wait to make this an devour the entire bowl!
Sarah @ Champagne Tastes
I keep meaning to make a Buddha bowl, but I keep totally forgetting about it! This looks delicious, and there's a butternut squash on my counter that REALLY needs used up!
Thanks Sarah and this would be a great way to use it!
I love meal in a bowl!! This looks so delish!
Thanks Mindy! And yes healthy but the flavors were incredible!
Looks great and so healthy! I love it when the whole meal is in one bowl!