A Vegan Buddha Bowl is the perfect dish to add to meal prepping. This nutritious bowl is packed with rice, roasted chickpeas, butternut squash and red bell pepper. And topped with the best ever tahini dressing! Vegan, Gluten free, Healthy, Easy.
A buddha bowl is amazing on so many levels. It's healthy, hearty and packed with tons of flavor.
And the name alone just makes you feel all Zen like!
But best of all it's customizable with all your favorite proteins and veggies!
Another one of our favorite bowl recipes is this vegan Burrito Bowl. It's also great for meal prepping!
What is a buddha bowl
It's a one bowl meal that typically consists of a grain, a protein and an array of different veggies topped with a delicious sauce.
A balanced vegetarian meal consisting of several different foods. You can serve it hot or cold.
- Butternut squash- I used a bag of frozen butternut squash just for convenience, but you could easily swap that out for fresh squash.
- Rice- You can use any of your favorite rice here or you could swap out with quinoa or any other grain.
- Chickpeas- this is my favorite protein to use. But the chickpeas or garbanzo beans can be swapped out with black beans, tofu or your favorite vegetarian protein.
- Veggies- such as bell peppers, cabbage, broccoli, kale or whatever you have on hand would work.
- Dressing- I personally recommend and love a good tahini dressing. Some other options that would work well would be a peanut sauce, avocado dressing or a cashew butter dressing.
How to make a vegan buddha bowl
First you'll need to choose a grain for your bowl. I used rice in this bowl. Mainly since I always have it on hand along with quinoa, which would work equally as well.
Then decide your protein. I love using roasted seasoned chickpeas since they add a ton of flavor.
Next pick your veggies. I recommend including some greens, cabbage and roasted vegetables.
Roasted veggies just add another level of flavors. And you can easily roast frozen veggies such as butternut squash, broccoli, or bell peppers.
Buddha bowl sauces
I used a tahini sauce which is in the recipe card below.
Some other variations I would recommend would be a light lemon vinaigrette, a peanut sauce, or an avocado sauce.
Other recipes to make ahead
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time-xoxo
Vegan Buddha Bowl (Gluten Free, Easy)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper
- Place bag of frozen butternut squash in a medium mixing bowl
- Cut bell pepper into medium chunks and place in bowl with squash.
- Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil, salt & pepper to taste and mix well.
- Spread out on baking sheet and bake 20-25 until golden brown on edges.
- Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile place chickpeas in small bowl with ½ tbsp. olive oil, salt & pepper, cinnamon, and turmeric. Mix well and place on baking sheet.
- Roast in oven about 15 minutes till you hear them popping(then you know they're done)
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile prepare rice according to package directions( when done I seasoned it with a little olive oil, salt & pepper)
- Next rinse Kale leaves and remove hard stems. Place in bowl with olive oil, chopped garlic, salt & pepper and massage the kale with your hands till well blended.
- Layer bowl with cooked rice, roasted veggies, chickpeas, chopped red cabbage and massaged kale.
- In small bowl add tahini, water, lime juice, garlic, coconut aminos, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Whisk until combined.
- Drizzle on salad.
Updated- originally posted January 2017