Baked Spaghetti Squash Mac n Cheese is a healthier, lower carb choice. But it’s still packed with all the same cheesy goodness as traditional baked Mac n Cheese.
So Yes guys I seriously had to go there…Mac n Cheese has always been one of my favorites. And making it something I could feel good about eating had to happen. Like now!!
Along with thinking about all the other Holiday prep I really should be working on now. Are you guys last minute when it comes to the Holiday?..Or you need months of planning..
While even though I created a spicy version I wanted to turn spaghetti squash into a family friendly tasty meal. Something even your children would Enjoy!
Believe me when I say,” I think you can win over some of your pickiest eaters with this Baked Spaghetti Squash Mac n Cheese”.
Now grant it my husband is really not a picky eater but spaghetti squash has never been his favorite. So when he tried this and said…”This is EXCELLENT”, I just did a little happy 🙂 dance.
And to think Spaghetti Squash is one of those veggies I used to kind of SHY away from. But since trying various recipes with it, now it has become a favorite.
Plus, this is so simple to make and I just love throwing a squash in the oven on a cool day..
Nothing says comfort more to me than food cooking in the oven. If you’re short on time you can always cook the spaghetti squash ahead of time.
Anyway, I hope I’ve convinced you now to try this Baked Spaghetti Squash Mac n Cheese since:
- It’s a healthier, lower carb option for Mac n Cheese
- You can have seconds without the guilt
- Provides a source of Vitamin C and B6
- Even picky eaters will love this
- Vegetarian and Gluten Free
Baked Spaghetti Squash Mac n Cheese
- 1 medium/large spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. butter divided
- 3 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- dash of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup half and half cream
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Place on baking dish flesh side down with a little bit of water on the bottom of pan.
- Bake in preheated oven 35 - 40 minutes until you can pierce easily with a fork.
- Remove from oven, flip over and allow to cool 5-10 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease casserole pan and set aside.
- With a fork scrape the flesh of the spaghetti squash out into casserole pan(should look similar to spaghetti strands) and mix with 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Allow spaghetti squash to cool while making cheese sauce, then add 3 beaten eggs. Then dot with 2 tbsp. butter.
- Meanwhile in medium saucepan melt 1 tbsp. butter over medium heat. Add cornstarch and stir to form a roux. Add mustard seed, garlic powder, paprika, nutmeg and chopped onion and stir about 1 minute. Add half and half and cook about 6-8 minutes stirring frequently until thickened.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until completely melted.
- Pour cheese sauce over Spaghetti Squash mixture and combine well.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake additional 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 10 minutes prior to serving