This Hearty Spaghetti Squash Vegetarian Bolognese is so easy to prepare and loaded with mushrooms, onions, carrots & celery. A comforting filling dinner that is flavorful, nutritious and great to serve any night of the week (Gluten Free, Vegetarian).
The sauce on this is seriously so good that I could eat this topped on so many things....Even just a spoon. Trust me, both me & the hubby did.
And since spaghetti squash tends to be a little plain on its own this is a great way to bump up the flavor.
So since I've made a Baked Spaghetti Squash Mac n Cheese, and a Creamy Spaghetti Squash Ricotta...
Then naturally this spaghetti squash recipe needed to be chunky, hearty and stick to your ribs kind of eating.
Hence the first thought that came to mind was a bolognese sauce.
Yes, perfect to spoon on top of my strands of spaghetti squash noodles. I'm telling you guys you'll never think of spaghetti squash the same way.
Cause once you've made this Hearty Spaghetti Squash Vegetarian Bolognese, spaghetti squash will become your new bestest friend.
And you will definitely be adding more of it to the weekly shopping trips...or every other day shopping if you're like me.
Haha! The struggles of being a foodie sometimes require multiple trips
Experimenting & testing out new recipes takes me to the grocery store more times than not.
But pick up a spaghetti squash on your next run! You can easily cook the squash ahead and have it ready to go in the fridge for many recipes.
Cooked spaghetti squash keeps in the fridge in a covered container for up to five days. And most of the time when I buy one I'm really not sure how I'm going to prepare it.
So let's list all the reasons to add spaghetti squash to your shopping list!
Since this Hearty Spaghetti Squash Vegetarian Bolognese is....
- Chocked full of a hearty serving of vegetables
- Flavorful and so easy to prepare
- A great way to take spaghetti squash from boring to fabulous
- Perfect for any night of the week
- Nutritious and a great way to lower carbs
- Gluten Free & Vegetarian
Hearty Spaghetti Squash Vegetarian Bolognese
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 3 tbsp. olive oil divided
- 6-8 ounces baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 1 med/large yellow onion chopped
- 3 medium carrots chopped (1 ½ cups chopped)
- 2-3 stalks celery chopped (1 cup chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ tsp. red chili pepper flakes
- 2- 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup red wine
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. half & half cream
- ⅓ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut Spaghetti Squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place flesh side down on large rimmed baking sheet. Pour a little water in bottom of pan to keep moist.
- Cook 30-35 minutes until it can easily be pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and flip squash over. Allow to cool about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove spaghetti squash strands with a fork in place in large bowl. I like to then drizzle with 1 tbsp. olive oil and stir.
- Meanwhile for sauce add 2 tbsp. olive oil to large sauce pan with red chili pepper flakes over medium heat for about 1 minute.
- Then add onions, carrots, celery, & garlic and cook about 2-3 minutes till translucent.
- Add mushrooms, walnuts, & seasonings and cook another 10 minutes.
- Finally add canned tomatoes, half & half cream & wine and cook about 20-30 more minutes.
- Spoon over cooked spaghetti squash.
- Optional toppings include shredded parmesan cheese & parsley.
This was absolutely delicious. I used extra mushrooms and red wine. I didn't even miss the meat. I cooked the spaghetti squash in my Instapot whole for 25 minutes. By the time the bolognese was ready, the squash was cool enough to handle and the skin just peeled off. Served with Pecorino Romano cheese.
Yay! So glad to hear you loved it.😘 Also I love the idea of cooking the spaghetti squash whole in an Instant pot. Great idea.
Spaghetti squash was already my BF. With your bolognese sauce, it will be my BFF!
Cleo @ Journey to the Garden
I'm so happy to find another vegetarian food blog! Bolognese was one of my favourites but I haven't tried a vegetarian version. I must try this one! Thanks!
I love spaghetti squash but it looks extra special with this bolognese!
Mmmmmm this looks amazing and would be a great dinner for our meatless Monday meals!
I have wanted to use more spaghetti squash in my cooking. This looks wonderful.