This Baked Mac n Cheese is a new twist on an age old classic. Creamy white cheesy garlic sauce baked with gluten free pasta and loaded with crunchy dill pickles. Easy, Gluten Free.
Uhmmm… Yes I went there 😂 ….. I took traditional Mac and Cheese to a whole new level….
with the addition of dill pickles and garlic & NOW I’m seriously questioning what took me so long?
Especially since you Guys have really been getting into my Garlic Lovers Dill Pickle Pizza!
So why not turn all that yumminess into Mac and Cheese. That’s exactly what I thought 🤔
Type of Pasta you should use for Baked Mac n Cheese recipe
Well there really is no right or wrong shape of pasta to use. But I would definitely lean towards the ones that are going cling to all the yummy sauce the best.
So I tend to stick to elbows, shells or in this case I used Cavatappi shaped pasta. And I also prefer chickpea pasta since it’s HIGH in protein.
But you can certainly use whatever your favorite gluten free pasta is in this recipe.
Tips for making Baked Mac n Cheese with Dill pickles:
- Start by grating your cheese and finely dicing the garlic…
- Since it helps to have these ingredients ready to go when making the sauce
- Make sure to salt the pasta water….
- Once you get the cooking water started for the pasta…
- Then start making the creamy cheesy garlic sauce
- Don’t over-cook the pasta since you’ll be baking it
- And rinse the pasta in cold water after draining
- Use good quality cheese that you have to grate yourself
And if you’re looking for a lower carb option for Baked Mac and Cheese… then you may want to check out this Baked Spaghetti Squash Mac n Cheese which doesn’t even require any pasta.
Anywho, if you make this recipe please be sure and leave me a comment, along with star⭐ rating below!
Until Next Time- xoxo
Baked Dill Pickle Mac n Cheese (Gluten Free)
- 8 ounces gluten free pasta
- 8 ounces white cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter- plus extra for casserole dish
- 4 cloves garlic finely diced
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups half & half cream
- 2/3 cups dill pickles chopped- about 4 dill pickle spears
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and generously grease casserole dish with 1/2 tbsp. butter.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta to water when boiling and cook al dente about 5 minutes and drain well.
- Rinse pasta with cold water and set aside.
- Meanwhile on stove top over medium heat melt butter.
- Add finely chopped garlic, ground mustard, and cornstarch to butter to form a roux.
- Stir in half & half cream and allow to heat about 3-4 minutes till warm and starting to slightly thicken.
- Turn off heat and add cheese reserving 1 cup of the cheese for topping.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Add cooked pasta to cheese sauce and stir till combined.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish and bake in preheated oven 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in chopped dill pickles and top with remaining cheese.
- Lower temperature to 300 degrees.
- Bake about 8-10 more minutes till cheese is bubbly.