This easy guacamole recipe comes together quickly in about 5 minutes. Perfect as a last minute appetizer that's great with tortilla chips or on wraps, nachos and more. Gluten Free, Vegan, Easy.
The best ever guacamole that's so simple to make and comes together super quick!
And fresh ingredients is really the key to making it perfect every time.
A ripe avocado doesn't need a lot to taste good, so I try to keep guacamole on the simple side.
This Chocolate avocado smoothie is also a simple recipe and a great way to use up those ripe avocados.
Ingredients for easy guacamole
- Avocados- this is really the most important thing to get right! Ripe avocados are a dark greenish color and should be slightly soft when you squeeze them.
- Jalapeño- if you like spicy leave the seeds in the jalapeño when chopping. Remove the seeds and membranes for less spicy.
- Cilantro- for optimal flavor finely dice the cilantro.
- Onion- I prefer yellow onion but you could substitute with red onion.
How to make guacamole
Start by prepping the add-ins to the avocado.
You want to dice up the onion and jalapeño finely. And if you want it to be a little less spicy make sure to remove the seeds & membranes from the jalapeño .
Chop up the cilantro and juice the lime.
Next slice the avocados in half and remove the pits from them.
Place avocados in large mixing bowl and mash till you get desired texture. I prefer mine a little on the chunky side.
Once you have those mashed add the remaining ingredients and combine.
How to store guacamole
There are several methods that can be used to keep it from browning too quickly.
- Cover the top layer of the guacamole with plastic wrap touching it and store in airtight container in the fridge.
- Pour a thin layer of water over the top and place in an airtight container in the fridge. Just pour off the water prior to serving.
- Place a cut onion half on top of the guacamole, cover and store in the fridge.
And I've tried them all and personally I had the best success with the onion method.
But with all that being said guacamole is best eaten within 2 days.
Preferably the day of, after sitting for several hours so flavors have time to blend.
Other easy dips
Easy Guacamole (Vegan, Gluten Free)
- 3 avocados
- 1 Jalapeño
- ⅓ cup yellow onion
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 3 tbsp. lime juice
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Cut avocados in half lengthwise. Remove the pit and place avocado pulp into medium mixing bow.
- Mash avocados slightly with fork. I like mine a little chunky.
- Add chopped onion, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, salt and mix well.
- Cover in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Taste for salt before serving.
Updated- originally posted February 2016