This cold Monday morning I feel like talking about peppers. So let’s talk stuffed peppers. Peppers add a lot of really good flavor to so many things but these peppers I’m sharing are stuffed with rice.There is nothing not to like about these guys and even though I’m having a hard time getting motivated this morning to write this post, cause looking at these just makes me want to go eat. So anyway, these peppers are versatile and can be stuffed with a variety of different things. I had a zucchini in the fridge so mine have that in the mix.And if you have leftover rice this is also a good thing to make. When I make rice I tend to make extra cause it keeps well in the fridge and makes for some easy throw together dinners including Chinese Vegetarian Stir Fry. I always use an organic brown rice from Trader Joes but you can use whatever type of rice you prefer. These peppers look dangerously good but they are actually pretty healthy for you. And I chose to use three different colors of peppers. Only cause I like my food to look as enticing as it tastes.
- 3 bell peppers
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 small carrot diced
- 1 large zucchini peeled and diced
- 1 tsp. each garlic powder oregano, and basil
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- salt & pepper taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce divided
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Cook rice according to package directions
- Slice bell peppers in half and scoop out membranes. Meanwhile melt butter with olive oil and add chopped onion and garlic to pan. Saute couple minutes then add diced carrots, zucchini, garlic powder, oregano, basil, onion powder, salt & pepper.
- Cook another 5-8 minutes and at this point you could add couple tbsp. wine(optional) and then continue to cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce and cooked brown rice and combine well.
- Stuff peppers with rice mixture and place in pan with 1/2 cup tomato sauce on bottom of pan.
- Top peppers with cheese and bake in oven about 30 minutes until bubbly and brown