Hearty Vegan Stuffed Peppers are a nutritious flavor packed meal. An easy make ahead dish stuffed with quinoa, black beans, corn and tomatoes. Gluten-free, Vegan, Dairy-free, Easy
A stuffed peppers recipe that's delicious and loaded with tons of Mexican flavors!
But best of all it's so easy to make ahead and have dinner prepped early in the day.
And I'm all about anything that helps streamline meal plans. And these vegan stuffed peppers are one of my go to recipes for that.
- Tomatoes- I used canned tomatoes but you can substitute with fresh tomatoes if you prefer.
- Quinoa- organic tri- colored was used. Can substitute with any other quinoa or rice.
- Nutritional yeast- this is optional. It gives a nice nutty, cheesy flavor to the stuffing.
- Corn- frozen corn kernels recommended.
- Onion- yellow onion but could substitute with sweet or red onion.
- Seasonings- chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne. Could substitute with taco seasoning.
How to make vegan stuffed peppers
Full directions are in the recipe card below
Start by preheating the oven and roasting the bell peppers.
Slice the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds and membranes from the peppers.
Roast in the oven till softened and lightly charred.
Meanwhile prepare the filling for the peppers.
Place chopped onion in sauté pan on the stove top over medium heat with a little olive oil. Cook a minute till translucent and then add seasonings.
Add remaining ingredients and cook another 5-8 minutes. Set aside until peppers are ready.
Stuff cooled peppers with filling and return to the oven for 10-15 minutes.
Remove the peppers from oven and allow to sit several minutes before serving.
You can store any leftovers in the fridge in a covered airtight container for 3-4 days.
For longer storage these freeze well in an airtight freezer safe container. You could also freeze them individually in ziplock bags.
Other recipes you may like
Vegan Stuffed Peppers (Gluten Free)
- 3 large bell peppers any color
- 1 tbsp. olive oil plus more for bell peppers
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 2 cups quinoa cooked
- ½ cup sweet corn
- 1 15 oz can black beans
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ tbsp. nutritional yeast
- dash of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- Slice bell peppers in half and scoop out membranes.
- Brush inside and outside with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast in preheated oven 15-20 minutes till slightly charred.
- Meanwhile sauté olive oil on stovetop over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook 1-2 minutes till translucent.
- Mix in seasonings and cook another minute till fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook 5-8 minutes longer.
- Stuff each bell pepper half with filling and return to the oven. Cook another 10-12 minutes.
Originally posted February 2016