A Grits Casserole that's creamy delicious and perfect for brunch or dinner. Chocked full of fresh spinach and cheese so a great side dish with almost any meal. Gluten free, Vegetarian, Easy.
Casseroles have always been some of our favorite meals to enjoy and especially during the cooler months.
And nothing speaks comfort to me better than a big bowl of cheesy grits. It's true southern comfort food at it's finest....
So this Grits Casserole is just another way to enjoy the creamy cheesy grits that we love with an extra serving of veggies.
- Grits- I used stone ground grits in this but you can also use the quick cooking grits.
- Vegetable broth- you could also use water or milk
- Olive oil
- Bell pepper- red or green
- Cheddar cheese
- Parmesan cheese
How to make this casserole
Start by making your grits according to package directions.
While the grits are cooking sautee the chopped onion, bell pepper and garlic till translucent for several minutes.
Add spinach in batches and cook till slightly wilted.
When grits are done add butter and pour into large mixing bowl along with cooked vegetables and remaining ingredients.
Stir till combined and pour into large baking dish. Top with parmesan cheese and bake.
Remove from oven and allow to sit at least 10 minutes prior to serving.
Can I make this ahead
Yes you can easily make this ahead. Just allow to cool before storing covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Recipe notes and substitutions
You can use any color of bell peppers you prefer or leave them out altogether if you don't like them.
I used sharp cheddar cheese but you could switch up with monterey jack cheese, pepper jack, swiss or whatever you love would work fine in this.
Vegetable broth was used to cook the grits but you could use milk or water instead.
Leftover refrigerated grits firm up but when reheated they loosen back up.
Other recipes you may like
Spinach and Cheese Grits Casserole (Gluten Free)
- 1 cup grits
- 4 cups vegetable broth*
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ¾ cup chopped yellow onion
- ¾ cup chopped bell pepper**
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- couple dashes hot sauce
- fresh parsley optional
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cook grits according to package instructions. When grits are done add butter and transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Meanwhile saute yellow onion, garlic, and bell pepper in olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste and fresh spinach leaves in batches and cook until wilted slightly.
- Add to bowl of grits, along with cheddar cheese, egg, garlic powder, and hot sauce. Combine and pour into casserole dish. Top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and can top with parsley and additional bell pepper.
**can use any color bell peppers you have. I used a combination of red and green.
Updated- originally posted April 2016