An easy tater tot breakfast casserole recipe that's chocked full of fresh veggies and cheese. This breakfast casserole is perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch. It can easily feed a group so also great for holidays or when you're having guests. Easy, Delicious, Gluten Free, Vegetarian.
So let me just say that this Tater Tot breakfast casserole is definitely guest worthy or a special occasion brunch worthy...
Also great as delicious family dinner packed with tons of flavor.
And yes... I've had this casserole for dinner on many occasions.
So if you're into having breakfast for dinner like we are... then you'll need to add this one to your to do list.
Cause tater tots are perfect in casseroles or along side a veggie burger for an easy tasty meal.
How to make this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole:
You'll want to start by prepping your veggies for the casserole...
Rinsing, chopping and dicing them all up.
Vegetables used in this Tater Tot Casserole:
- Bell Peppers
- Green Onions for topping- optional
Can I substitute with different vegetables?
You most certainly can! If your family doesn't like peppers.... feel free to leave them out.
But don't skip the onions cause those are recommended for optimal flavor.
And the mushrooms which are often used as a meat substitute in lots of different vegetarian recipes.
Particularly since they have a dense meaty texture when cooked.
Once everything is chopped and ready to go just heat a little butter or olive oil in a skillet to get started.
You can use olive oil or butter but I prefer to use a little of both.
Then start by adding your onions and bell peppers for a few minutes first till translucent, next add mushrooms and lastly the kale just long enough to wilt it.
Once it's sautéed nicely just pop it on top of the frozen tater tots in a buttered 9x13 casserole pan.
Pour your egg & cheese mixture over the top and bake.
Can I make this Breakfast Casserole Ahead:
This can definitely be made ahead. I like to bake if first, allow it to cool, then cover and it will keep in the fridge till ready to serve.
Just warm in the oven prior to serving.
How long can you store it:
Once baked and properly stored in a covered dish in the fridge it will last for 3-4 days.
And still quite tasty... Me & the husband ate this for dinner multiple days in a row when testing the recipe. 😋
No complaints here!
Other Breakfast ideas.....
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time- xoxo
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 tbsp. butter plus some to butter casserole pan
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup bell peppers chopped
- 12 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped kale
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded
- 8 eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup half & half cream
- couple dashes of hot sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter 9x13 casserole pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chopped yellow onion and bell peppers and saute 1-2 minutes till fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and cook another 8-10 minutes. Drain any excess liquid.
- Add kale, garlic powder and cook another 1-2 minutes until slightly wilted.
- Spread frozen tater tots out on bottom on 9X13 buttered casserole dish.
- Layer mushroom, kale, onion. pepper mixture on top of frozen tater tots and spread out evenly.
- In medium mixing bowl beat eggs, sour cream, half & half and cheese reserving ½ cup for topping. Add, salt & pepper to taste and combine well.
- Pour evenly over casserole.
- Bake in preheated oven 35 -40 minutes.
- Five minutes prior to being done top with reserved cheese.
Updated - originally posted December 2016