This Avocado Egg Salad recipe is creamy, healthy and delicious. It comes together with only five ingredients and no mayo needed. Great served on sandwiches, wraps, topped on lettuce and more. Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Mayo Free, Easy.
Egg salad is pretty much a staple in our house since it's easy to make, healthy and loaded with tons of flavor.
So whenever we want to switch up from this classic egg salad recipe, then this avocado egg salad is one of our favorite alternatives.
Especially since it's packed with creamy avocados that make a delicious addition to egg salad.
And we're always looking for ways to use up those perfectly ripe avocados sitting on the counter.
Ingredient notes & substitutions
- Hard boiled eggs- I love using this hard boiled egg cooker for perfect eggs every time. So much easier to peel and don't have to stand over the stove to make.
- Avocados- make sure your avocados are ripe. They should be a darker green and slightly soft to the touch. I don't recommend avocados that are over ripe for this recipe.
- Onion- yellow onion finely chopped but could be substituted with red onion. I've actually tried it both ways and prefer the yellow onion.
- Jalapeño- remove the seeds and membranes for a less spicy version and finely dice them.
- Lemon juice- could substitute lime juice but make sure it's freshly squeezed.
- Salt & pepper- use salt and pepper based on your tastes. I started with ½ tsp. of salt and ¼ tsp. of black pepper and didn't need to adjust it any.
How to make avocado egg salad
full directions are in the recipe card below
- Combine avocados, onion, lemon juice, jalapeño, and salt & pepper in a small mixing bowl. Mash till desired consistency. I prefer it with a few chunks.
- Peel and chop the hard boiled eggs and add to mixing bowl with avocado mixture.
- Gently fold together the two and taste for salt and pepper.
How to store it
This avocado egg salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
For optimal flavor I recommend eating it the same day.
Other recipes with avocado
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time-xoxo
Avocado Egg Salad (Mayo-Free, Easy)
- 6 hard boiled eggs
- 2 medium avocado
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- ¼ cup yellow onion finely diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. jalapeno finely chopped
- Peel eggs and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Place in large serving bowl
- In separate mixing bowl combine mashed avocado, yellow onion, lemon juice, jalapeño and salt & pepper to taste.
- Add this to eggs & onion and combine well.
- Taste for salt & pepper.
Updated from April 2017