Caramelized Onion White Pizza with cream cheese- an onion pizza recipe piled high with rich sweet caramelized onions & cheese. This easy to prepare pizza with caramelized onions will soon become your new favorite pizza recipe!
Pizza night is a regular in our household, so we're always looking for interesting & delicious ways to switch it up.
And what better combination than sweet soft caramelized onions topped with gooey melty cheese all layered on the perfect gluten free pizza crust.
This easy pizza recipe is great for entertaining or when you're just looking to switch up from the plain ole pizza toppings!
😍 Why you'll love this recipe
- Simple ingredients that tastes incredible on a pizza.
- Caramelized onions can easily be prepped in advance.
- Can use on your favorite pizza crust recipe or a ready made crust.
- You can easily make this dairy-free.
📖 Ingredients & notes
- Onions- you can use any type of onions but I recommend yellow onions for this recipe.
- Balsamic vinegar
- Butter- this can be substituted with a vegan butter
- Salt- sea salt or kosher salt recommended
- Mozzarella cheese- can substitute with a dairy free option such as Daiya mozzarella cheese shreds.
- Onion powder
- Cream cheese- dairy free substitute can also be used here. My personal favorite is Violife vegan cream cheese.
- Olive oil
🗒 Step by step instructions- how to caramelize onions
Full instructions can be found in the recipe card below
- Start by peeling and thinly slicing the onions and place in pan with melted butter.
- Cook over medium low heat approximately 10 minutes and then add salt.
- Continue cooking slowly about another 15- 20 minutes till the onions start to caramelize and turn brown. Add the balsamic vinegar the last minute of cooking.
- Cream cheese topping- in small bowl mix together softened cream cheese, minced garlic, onion powder and olive oil.
- Spread cream cheese topping over prepared pizza crust.
- Top with caramelized onions.
- Then with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven approximately 15 minutes until cheese is melted.
💭 Pro tips
I recommend prepping the pizza crust and caramelized onion either earlier in the day or the day before you want to make the recipe.
Caramelized onions can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
📌 More recipes you may like
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time- xoxo
Caramelized Onion Pizza With Cream Cheese Recipe
- 1 pizza crust
- 2 yellow onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- ¼ tsp. onion powder
- 1-2 cups mozzarella cheese
- dash of red chili pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degree
- Melt butter over medium high heat
- Meanwhile thinly slice 2 medium/large yellow onions
- Cook approximately 10 minutes and then add your salt
- Continue to cook about another 15-20 minutes until onions are translucent and lightly browned
- Add your balsamic vinegar during the last couple minutes of cooking
- Remove onions from heat and cool slightly
- In small bowl combine softened cream cheese, garlic, olive oil, and onion powder
- Combine until you have a softened smooth consistency
- Spread cream cheese mixture on top of prepared pizza crust of choice
- Top with caramelized onions, mozzarella cheese, and red chili pepper flakes
- Bake in preheated oven about 15 minutes until bubbly and golden brown
Updated from November 2015