This Chickpea Masala Stew is an easy to prepare stew flavored with spices traditional to Indian cuisine. It’s a tasty, healthy stew perfect for cool nights. Vegan, Vegetarian, & Gluten Free.
And even though Winter is officially not here yet on the calendar there has definitely been a chill in the air around here.
Hence, I start thinking about sitting around the fire, warm cozy blankets and my fuzzy slippers. What are some of your favorite Winter things?
Do you guys ever think that you might just want to hibernate in your safe little area for a while during the winter.
I know realistically not a good idea but it works for the bears so Why not?
You know…Uhmm the kind of feeling you get when you’re curled up on the couch with your favorite blanket and no where to be. I guess you could kind of call that hibernation.
Now picture Frosty the Snowman on TV, a big bowl of this Chickpea Masala Stew…it just doesn’t get any better than that!
So moving right along with the recipe this was really only my second or third attempt at making something with the Masala seasonings. I can honestly say I’m hooked now.
There will definitely be a lot more of this in the near future and OH bonus, hubby loved it too.
I’m here to tell you now all my favorite reasons you’ll wanna try this Chickpea Masala Stew:
- Number one reason for sure is the flavor
- Chickpeas are a great source of Plant based protein
- Chickpeas are also high in fiber which helps to keep you full longer
- Now if all that isn’t Enough this can be ready in 30 minutes with minimal effort
- Vegan, Vegetarian, & Gluten Free
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 jalapeno diced*
- ½ tbsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. each of ginger, cinnamon, and masala seasoning
- ¼ tsp. turmeric
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes(14.5 oz)
- 1½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 boxes chickpeas rinsed and drained(26.8 oz)
- 1½ tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
- In large dutch oven or soup pan add olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add seasonings stir and cook another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes with lid slightly ajar.
- Taste for salt & pepper
- garnish with additional cilantro