These Scalloped Sweet Potatoes are the perfect blend of both sweet & spicy. Tender thinly sliced sweet potatoes seasoned perfectly with a smoky flavor and then covered in a creamy cheese sauce. Gluten Free, Easy.
Okay friends, since we’re officially into November & Thanksgiving is just right around the corner (at least for all my American friends)…..
Then I figured it was the perfect time to share an idea for an easy yet over the top side.
Now who doesn’t need more easy & over-the-top sides in their life! 😆
And sweet potatoes just scream the holidays to me… even though I do eat them year around & for good reason.
Did you know that Sweet Potatoes ????
- Can help stabilize blood sugar….
- And have been known to actually help regulate blood sugar levels
- May even improve memory….
- Thanks to the abundance of antioxidants & nutrients in them
- Plus they may even aid in weight loss…. Yesss 🙌…. who’d thought?
So let’s not forget to add more of these gorgeous sweet potatoes into your meals.
And these Scalloped Sweet Potatoes are the perfect way to do it….
Orrr, if you need more sweet potato inspiration, then check out some of these other options:
Tips to make the BEST possible Scalloped Sweet Potatoes:
- Make sure to thinly slice the sweet potatoes- you can do this using a mandolin slicer… although I personally prefer to do it by hand (less dangerous for me 😆 )
- When seasoning the sweet potatoes it’s much easier to just mix them around using your hands- you will get them evenly coated better with this method.
- The creamy cheese sauce will thicken up as the potatoes bake- don’t expect it to be too thick prior to baking.
- Buy block cheese and grate it yourself for optimal flavor and melting.
And don’t forget to let me know if you make this recipe by commenting below and star ☀ rating the recipe.
Until next time- xoxo
Spicy Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- salt to taste
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup plain full fat greek yogurt- can sub sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel sweet potatoes and thinly slice by hand or using a mandolin slicer and place them in a bowl of water after slicing them.
- Drain and rinse and pat dry with clean kitchen towel.
- Place dry sweet potatoes in a 9 x 9 casserole dish with coconut oil, chili powder, cumin, and salt and mix thoroughly with hands till coconut oil is melted in potatoes and seasonings evenly dispersed.
- Meanwhile in medium sauce pan on stove top add cream cheese and start to melt over low heat.
- Once beginning to melt add in yogurt or sour cream and continue to stir till incorporated.
- Stir in garlic powder, cayenne pepper and whole milk. Continue to cook over medium heat about 5-6 minutes stirring continually.
- When mixture is just slightly thickened add in grated pepper jack cheese and stir till melted.
- Pour sauce ( it will be slightly on the thinner side) over the sweet potatoes and place in preheated oven.
- Bake 40-45 minutes until bubbly and potatoes can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Allow at least 10 minutes prior to serving.