Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions takes the standard mashed potato side to the next level. A lower carb option that can easily become the star at your next meal. Vegetarian and Gluten Free(could adapt to Vegan).
This recipe is even easier to make than your standard mashed potatoes and I promise you won’t even miss those carbs.
Then topping them with caramelized onions adds that nice little interest and flavor. So tonight, Why not switch up the standard mashed potatoes with Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions?
I never have been a fan of peeling and chopping potatoes. wah, wah. Although I have peeled many taters and have become fairly efficient at that. I still find it easier to disassemble a head of cauliflower. Caramelizing onions is pretty simple and just adds a lot of nice flavor to various recipes.
They are also great on this Caramelized Onion & Cream Cheese Pizza. Definitely one of my favorite pizza combinations 🙂
I’ve made so many different recipes with cauliflower such as my Cauliflower Bread Grilled Cheese. Which is definitely on the top of my list as one of my favorite cauliflower recipes.
But I really love the Italian Cauliflower Marinara Bake as well.
So next time you’re looking for a new way to use that cauliflower search my blog and you should find plenty here to choose from.
I think dinner should not only be tasty but consist of things that were grown in the ground. I always try and purchase organic produce whenever possible.
I think it’s important to take charge of your own health, which to me means eating as many Whole Organic Foods as possible and exercising.
I mean have you ever really read what’s in the stuff you’re eating? You won’t find any ingredient lists on the produce isle. So why not buy the bulk of your groceries there.
Ideally it would be great if we could all grow our own food. I’ve tried gardening a little bit in the past and enjoy doing it, but never had a lot of success with it. But I do have a small little flower and herb garden which I try and maintain every year.
I use a lot of spices and herbs in my cooking and I think that’s pretty much all you need to make food flavorful.
So next time you’re looking for a different side try these Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions.
Mashed Cauliflower with Caramelized Onions
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 3 tbsp. butter divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium/ large yellow onions
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Meanwhile break cauliflower into bite size florets. When water is boiling carefully add cauliflower.
- Reduce heat to medium high and cook cauliflower about 15 minutes till fork tender.
- Drain cauliflower well. Add back to pot, then add 2 tbsp. butter, sour cream, salt & pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper and mash with potato masher. When you have nice consistency add cheese and combine till melted.
- While cauliflower is cooking thinly slice onions and add to saute pan with 1 tbsp. butter and olive oil. Cook about 10 minutes, then add couple dashes of salt and combine. Continue to cook onions over medium heat another 15-20 minutes stirring several times. During the last few minutes of cooking drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Top on Mashed Cauliflower and serve immediately or you could also keep warm in oven till ready to eat.