This Cauliflower Bread is a great way to have a classic grilled cheese sandwich without all the carbs. Gooey cheese all layered between two slices of bread made from a head of cauliflower. Gluten Free, Low Carb & Keto.
And I don't know about you Guys 😕 , but grilled cheese has always been a favorite sandwich of mine.
Cause how can you go wrong with all that gooey melty cheese slathered between two slices of bread.
Well anyone that follows a gluten free diet knows the challenge of finding a tasty gluten free bread.... and if you're lucky enough to find one you like they're awfully pricey! 🙁
But I'm here to rectify that and bring some joy back to a childhood favorite.
Plus the way I see it, cauliflower bread is like getting in an extra serving of veggies for the day.
Cauliflower bread is great for...
- Having a delicious lower carb option for a grilled cheese sandwich
- Getting in that extra serving of veggies
- And sheer joy from making bread out of cauliflower 😆
- Plus all the extra nutrients from the cauliflower
How to make cauliflower bread
Other than ricing the cauliflower, there is not much else to it.
Just add your few extra ingredients, shape the bread & bake.
It's only a little planning prior to needing the bread. So if you want to make a grilled cheese make the bread earlier in the day.
Recipe tips and notes
- I like to make the bread ahead of time prior to making the grilled cheese.
- It works better making the sandwich when the bread is cooled first.
- Use a good quality melty cheese like monterey jack, cheddar, or mozzarella.
- Cover the skillet for even melting.
- Shred the cheese prior to placing on the bread.
And there you have it friends.... everything you need to make a delicious keto, low carb, gluten free grilled cheese sandwich! 😉
Other cauliflower recipes
Cauliflower Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwich (Gluten Free)
- 1 medium head cauliflower broken into florets
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil - for greasing parchment paper
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- cheese of choice
- 1 tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Put parchment paper on large baking sheet and generously grease parchment paper.
- Break cauliflower into florets and pulse in food processor or use box grater(yield about 3 ½ cups riced cauliflower).
- Place riced cauliflower on several sheets of paper towels or use clean kitchen towel.
- Squeeze out as much liquid as possible and place in mixing bowl.
- Add rest of ingredients reserving the additional cheese for sandwich and olive oil for greasing parchment paper. Mix well and divide into four sections in bowl as to try and get sandwich slices equal.
- Spoon the mixture in the four sections onto the greased parchment paper. Press into shape of bread slices. Bake in preheated oven about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and turn bread over. Then bake an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit a few minutes.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Add butter to skillet over medium heat.
- Then assemble the grilled cheese with cheese of choice and put into buttered pan and cook till cheese is thoroughly melted turning sandwich over once while cooking. You could also melt cheese in oven if your prefer.
Updated- originally posted January 2016