Balsamic Caramelized Onion Hummus is sweet, savory, and velvety smooth. Onions sauteed slowly until they develop a nutty like flavor & brown color. Then finished off with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. This takes your hummus from plain to extraordinary. Gluten free & Vegan option.
CARAMELIZED ONION HUMMUS
And extraordinary this is....I mean who doesn't love caramelized onions? Sweet, savory and perfect on sooo many things.
It surely has to be one of my favorite guilt free pleasures along with hummus!
So recently when I was out shopping and needed a snack I tried some hummus with caramelized onions and was immediately hooked.
But since I usually prefer the homemade hummus to store bought versions making this one at home I knew would be phenomenal. Freshly made caramelized onions & hummus,.....Yes Please 🙂
I knew that I had to re-create this one soon and was wondering Why I hadn't already thought of this.
After all since hummus is really easy to make and with so many varieties you'll never tire of eating it.
And now I can tell you for sure that this Balsamic Caramelized Onion Hummus has to be my new favorite flavor...without a doubt my friends!
So if you want to take your snacking game to the next level of Yum, you're REALLY going need this stuff.
And did I mention that it's also really good for you. It provides a good source of plant based proteins and is also high in vitamins & minerals.
Plus, there are so many delicious ways to enjoy hummus..Whether it be on gluten free crusty baguettes, crackers, veggies or even as a sandwich spread.
Anyway for all my hummus loving friends out there & even if you think you don't like hummus....Please, please give this one a try.
Since Balsamic Caramelized Onion Hummus is....
- Sweet, savory and velvety smooth
- Perfect for an appetizer, snack, dinner, or lunch
- Pretty much perfect anytime
- A great source of Plant based proteins
- Also high in Vitamins & Minerals
- Sure to become your new favorite hummus flavor
- Gluten free & Vegan option
OTHER HUMMUS RECIPES.....
Black Eyed Pea Hummus (Vegan, Paleo & Gluten Free)
Black Bean Hummus Recipe (Vegan, GF, Easy)
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time-xoxo
Balsamic Caramelized Onion Hummus
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp. butter use all olive oil for vegan option
- ½ tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups cooked chick peas drained & rinsed
- ¼ cup lemon juice (1 lemon)
- ⅓ cup tahini + 1 tbsp.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 5 tbsp. water
For Caramelized Onions
- Melt butter with olive oil in sautee pan over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile peel and thinly slice large onion and separate rings. Add to pan and cook about 10 minutes.
- Then add salt and stir. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook about 20 more minutes stirring several times during cooking.
- When onions are starting to turn a golden brown during the last 1-2 minutes of cooking drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, olive oil and caramelized onions(reserving spoonful for topping) to food processor and pulse till combined.
- Gradually add water till you get desired consistency.
Very disappointed.i followed the directions as written. The onions smelt so good while they were being carmalized but adding the balsamic vinegar changed it. I decided to continue anyway. I found it was lacking in flavour. I have made many other humus recipes that were much more flavourful. I won’t be making this one again
Sorry to hear that! But yes there are lots of hummus recipes if you didn't like this one.
Caramelized onion hummus are looking perfect and delightful. cant wait to try this recipe.
Thanks Alena and Hope you Enjoy! 🙂
Yes!!! I looooove caramelized onions and your addition of balsamic vinegar to the onions sounds delicious. I can almost taste these onions with the hummus. Such a perfect and healthy snack.
I love hummus and this is maybe a favorite recipe I found on it so far! Also, really nice shots, I went hungry in a sec. 😀
I'm so GLAD to hear that Hannah and Thanks! If I made you hungry then I did my job 🙂
Cindy @ The Sweet Nerd
I can't tell you how much I love carmelized onions! Thanks for the good idea to combine with hummus.
Ohhh love the idea of adding balamic onions on top of hummus. Such a great combo!
Yes it is Dawn and the caramelized onions just takes it over the top. Hope you get a chance to try this one. Enjoy your weekend 🙂
Dawn @ Girl Heart Food
Homemade hummus is SO much better than store bought (and so easy too). And I happen to love caramelized onions so this combo is definitely calling my name! Perfect for weekend eats! Have a good one, my friend 🙂