This Spinach Mushroom Cheesy Rice Casserole is perfect as a side or could easily be the main course. Of course it’s filled with spinach, mushrooms, cheese and rice for a family friendly meal. Vegetarian and Gluten Free.
So with Thanksgiving less than a week away I thought I’d share one more of my favorites dishes.
This Spinach Mushroom Cheesy Rice casserole could easily be a great side to add to your Thanksgiving table.
The best part is that you can make several days in advance. Hence allowing you more time to spend with family and friends.
And after all it really is meant to be a relaxing day 🙂
As much as I do enjoy eating all the yummy food, I really just appreciate a break from the normal routine.
While I’m very much Thankful for being able to purse one of my passions<—creating new recipes and sharing them…It’s still nice to take a little break from it all and Enjoy the moment.
So over the next few days I plan on preparing my dishes ahead and on Thanksgiving day just allowing myself the change of routine…You know sleeping in a little late, eating a little extra, just doing nothing at all..
Ahhh, I really think I am ready. How about you guys? What are your family traditions?
Whether it be hanging out watching football games, getting an early start on Christmas shopping or just enjoying the extra long weekend. Or maybe even a little bit of all of that.
I know most of us can find plenty of things to be THANKFUL for but mostly just enjoy taking care of you. The number one thing I strongly believe..you have to take care of yourself in order to give back to others.
Okay, sorry got a little off track but let me share reasons to Enjoy this Spinach Mushroom Cheesy Rice Casserole:
- Made with simple tasty ingredients
- Can be made ahead and easily re-heated
- Allows more time for relaxing
- Spinach and Mushrooms provide great health benefits
- Kid friendly
- Vegetarian and Gluten Free
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tbsp. butter divided
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 10 ounce bag frozen mixed mushrooms*
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups shredded cheese(cheddar & Monterey jack)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- ½ cup half & half cream
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Grease 13 by 9 casserole dish with 1 tbsp. butter
- Cook rice according to package directions. Once cooked add 2 tbsp. butter, garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste.
- Then add cream cheese, 2 cups shredded cheese, eggs, and half & half cream.
- Meanwhile heat 1tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Then add mushrooms. Cook 6-8 minutes. Drain any excess liquid.**
- Add spinach and cook till slightly wilted
- Add mushroom onion spinach mixture to rice and combine well.
- Spread rice mixture evenly into casserole dish.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with mozzarella cheese. Return to oven 5-6 minutes until mozzarella is melted and slightly browned.
- Allow to sit 10 minutes prior to serving.
**if using frozen mushrooms they tend to release a lot more liquid so make sure to drain off liquid prior to adding to rice mixture.
Rice can be made ahead.
This casserole can be made ahead and easily re-heated.
Keeps well in fridge covered for up to five days.