This Sweet Potato Crusted Spinach Quiche is made with a shredded sweet potato crust. It’s perfect for a tasty weekend brunch or healthy dinner. Vegetarian and Gluten Free.
Quiche just so happens to be one of my favorite go to dinners or brunch. I really didn’t start making quiche until after I adapted the Gluten Free lifestyle…Go figure since your standard quiche is made with a crust that isn’t gluten free.
So after playing around with numerous recipes for crust-less quiche and other gluten free options I came up with this sweet potato crust. Definitely a keeper for sure.
The crust is relatively simple to prepare and could be made ahead of time if you’re looking to save time. But it really only requires shredding a sweet potato to have this tasty lovely looking crust.
After making this I see more sweet potato crust recipes coming your way. The possibilities are endless with these guys and to think they’re even good for you.
This week is starting off on kind of a cool note but I guess that’s to be expected since it’s November. Kind of got a little bit spoiled with the exceptionally warm weather we had the past few weeks.
And with daylight savings time kicking in over the weekend I guess you just expect to start seeing a little cooler weather. Even though I supposedly gained an hour of sleep somehow it really doesn’t feel like it.
I think your body kind of gets in a rhythm and having to make that kind of change doesn’t seem logical to me. Oh well what do I know?
How do you guys feel about the whole daylight savings thing? Do you adjust fairly well to it.
Anyway at least maybe we slow down a little more this time of year and enjoy lots and lots of tasty food.
Let’s talk about all the wonderful things this Sweet Potato Crusted Spinach Quiche has to offer:
- Sweet Potatoes are a great source for vitamins C, B6, & D
- They are also a good source of Magnesium & Potassium
- Naturally sweet but don’t cause spikes in blood sugars
- Sweet Potatoes are versatile and can be prepared so many tasty ways
- Vegetarian and Gluten Free
Sweet Potato Crusted Spinach Quiche
- Sweet Potato Crust:
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and grated
- 1 egg
- 1/4 parmesan cheese grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- dash of red chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- Quiche Filling:
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounces spinach rinsed and patted dry
- 4 medium/large size baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup plain greek yogurt full fat
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese of choice I used gouda/parmesan mix
- Preheat oven 400 degrees
- Grease pie pan with coconut oil
- Place grated sweet potatoes, egg, parmesan cheese, salt & pepper, red chili flakes in bowl and combine well.
- Press into pie pan and bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Lower oven heat to 350 degrees
- Meanwhile melt butter over medium heat and add olive oil. Place onions , garlic and sliced mushrooms in pan. Cook 2-4 minutes. Then add spinach and cook until slightly wilted.
- Remove from stove and set aside.
- In medium bowl mix beaten eggs, yogurt, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, salt & pepper, and cayenne pepper. Then fold in cheese.
- Place spinach and onion mixture on top of sweet potato crust and then pour egg mixture on top.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes