An easy slow cooker lentil soup recipe that's warm cozy and filled with healthy nourishing ingredients. A delicious one pot meal made in the crockpot that's naturally vegan and gluten free.
Soups, stews and chili are always my favorite recipes to make during the cooler winter months!
And this slow cooker lentil soup is hearty, healthy and perfect for busy nights!
I especially love how versatile lentils are in so many recipes and that's why they're always a staple in our pantry!
This lentil loaf is a great meatless entrée and perfect to serve for the holidays.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy to make with only a few ingredients
- Healthy, nourishing and delicious served as leftovers
- Vegan, Dairy free, Gluten free
- Made in the crockpot, so prep it and dinner will be waiting on you
- Lentils are a great source of plant based protein
- Lentils- green lentils were used for this soup but could substitute with brown lentils.
- Vegetable broth- I recommend a low sodium vegetable broth since it's easier to control the sodium content.
- Tomatoes- preferably organic canned tomatoes. Diced petite tomatoes were used here.
- Carrots- dice the carrots in bite sized chunks.
- Celery- diced into bite sized pieces.
- Onion- roughly chopped yellow onion.
- Garlic- finely minced garlic.
- Seasonings- dried oregano, basil, thyme, smoked paprika, & sea salt.
- Bay leaf- if your bay leaves are small use 2.
How to make this vegan lentil soup
Full directions can be found below in the recipe card
- Put the rinsed dried green lentils, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, bay leaf and seasonings into to the crockpot.
- Then pour in vegetable broth, stir, cover and cook per recommended time in the recipe card below.
What to serve with slow cooker lentil soup
- Green salad- a basic green salad is always a great choice to serve with soup.
- Bread- Warm crusty bread for dunking or these almond flour biscuits are perfect with it.
- Crackers, pita chips or any chip that's good for dunking into this soup.
- Rice is another great addition to add to this meal. I recommend a simple jasmine rice.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
For longer storage freeze in airtight containers 3-4 months.
Be sure to rinse and sort the lentils before adding to the slow cooker. Use a low sodium broth so you can adjust the salt to your taste preferences.
No. Lentils do not require soaking prior to cooking, however do make sure to rinse them in cold water and discard any debris.
You can add kale or spinach to the soup right before serving. I also like to add a splash of balsamic vinegar.
Yes. They are rich in fiber and a great source of plant based protein. A serving of lentil soup is loaded with tons of nutrients.
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time- xoxo
Easy Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 large carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 14.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp. basil
- ½ tsp. oregano
- ½ tsp. salt or salt to taste
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar- optional
- 1 cup kale chopped- optional
- Chop onion, carrots, celery and garlic and set aside.
- Rinse the lentils and remove any bad ones.
- Place all of the above ingredients in the slow cooker reserving vinegar and kale till end.
- Cook on low setting 8 hours or high setting 5 hours.
- optional- add balsamic vinegar and chopped kale to soup and stir prior to serving.
Post has been updated from October 2019