This Spaghetti Squash Ricotta is a creamy flavorful alternative to traditional Italian pasta. A comforting dish that is lighter & healthier than pasta and a great way to switch up dinner. Easy to prepare with just a few ingredients. Low Carb, Gluten Free.
Spaghetti Squash…. Yay or Nay?
Well I don’t know about you but I’m a strong Yay! Now hubby on the other hand needed a little convincing.🤔
So I took these mild flavored strands of squash and loaded them with a creamy cheesy sauce.
And now this Spaghetti Squash Ricotta recipe has officially converted him to a Yay!
Anyway…. first things first… let’s get started with preparing the squash.
METHODS FOR COOKING SPAGHETTI SQUASH IN THE OVEN
- You can either roast it in the oven or steam it- done it both ways and my preferred method is roasting
- And there are various ways you can cut the squash and believe me I’ve tried them all….
- Lengthwise, in half, or rings- my preferred method is to cut in half
So let’s talk about roasting as opposed to steaming the squash when you bake it.
Roasting gives it more flavor in my opinion and it’s not quite as watery in dishes.
The main difference with roasting is you don’t put water on the bottom of the pan and when you do it’s more like steaming the squash.
And as far as cutting the squash I find it easier to just cut in half plus I like how the strands come out better.
INGREDIENTS NEEDED FOR THIS RECIPE
Other than the cooked spaghetti squash…..
- Ricotta cheese- recommend you use the full fat
- Sour cream or full fat Greek yogurt
- Parmesan cheese- buy the blocks and shred it yourself
- Fresh parsley
HOW TO MAKE SPAGHETTI SQUASH RICOTTA
You want to start by cooking the squash and you can actually do this in advance if you prefer…
Since cooked spaghetti squash will keep in the fridge for several days.
So once you have your bowl of yummy spaghetti squash noodles you’ll just mix in the egg, ricotta cheese, sour cream or greek yogurt, fresh parsley, parmesan cheese & seasonings.
Then just pour it all into a casserole dish and bake till warm gooey and delicious.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH IT
Just think what you might typically serve with Italian food…
- Green salad
- Crusty GF bread
- A light tomato salad
- Roasted broccoli
OTHER SPAGHETTI SQUASH RECIPES TO TRY….
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time-xoxo
Creamy Spaghetti Squash Ricotta (Gluten Free, Low Carb)
- Medium sized spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup sour cream or plain greek yogurt full fat
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- handful of fresh chopped parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds.
- Rub inside of squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet flesh side down.
- Bake in preheated oven 30-35 minutes until can easily pierce with fork.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Lower oven temperature 350 degrees.
- With fork remove strands from spaghetti squash and place in casserole dish.
- Add olive oil and combine.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
Updated- originally posted March 2017