A hearty, warm bowl of soup is the perfect cozy meal for the cooler weather months. And this easy Vegetarian Minestrone Soup is great since it's chocked full of veggies, pasta and is also budget friendly. A healthy vegan, gluten-free meal that the whole family will love!
As we're approaching the cooler temperatures, I'm thinking of all the warm & delicious comfort foods that go along with it.
And this vegan minestrone soup is one of our favorites or this easy taco soup made in the slow cooker.
Both of which can be easily customized with what your family likes and ingredients you may already have on hand.
Soup is always a good option since it comes together quickly for a hearty, healthy easy weeknight meal.
- Onions- chopped yellow onion but could substitute with a sweet onion.
- Carrots- two peeled & chopped carrots.
- Celery- finely dice the celery.
- Olive oil- organic virgin olive oil.
- Seasonings- oregano, basil and thyme.
- Tomatoes- you can use canned whole tomatoes and dice them or already diced canned tomatoes. I used fire roasted in this soup but you could also just use plain dicd tomatoes.
- White beans- northern beans or cannellini works well in this soup.
- Kale- make sure to remove any stems and chop the kale. I used green kale but could substitute with dinosaur kale or red kale.
- Green beans- I recommend using frozen green beans for this soup but you could substitute with fresh beans. Canned green beans are not recommended for this soup.
- Pasta- Use a small size pasta in this soup. Our personal favorite is the small chickpea shells.
How to make vegetarian minestrone soup
[full directions are in the recipe card below]
- Heat olive oil over medium heat and add carrots, celery, onion, garlic and seasonings.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes until translucent & fragrant.
- Add diced tomatoes, green beans, and white beans to pan.
- Pour and vegetable broth and stir. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer about 20 minutes with the lid slightly a jar.
- Stir in vegetable broth, pasta and simmer another 10 minutes.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Hearty, flavorful and comes together easily.
- A healthy meal chocked full of veggies.
- You can switch up the addition of vegetables or beans based on what you like or have on hand.
- It's great served as leftovers for a quick weeknight meal.
- Naturally vegan, gluten free and no added refined sugar.
Cool completely and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
For longer storage you can freeze the soup in airtight freezer bags for 3-4 months.
What to serve with it
- Crusty garlic bread for dunking or these low carb almond flour biscuits.
- A green salad serves as a great starter for this soup.
- Or a fruit salad is also a good option.
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time my friends- xoxo
Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 medium carrots peeled & chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans rinsed
- 10 ounces frozen green beans
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup pasta- gluten free
- 2 cups kale chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- optional: fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Heat olive oil in large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots, basil, oregano, & thyme.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes til translucent and fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, green beans, cannellini beans, vegetable broth, salt & pepper to taste.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer with lid slightly a jar 20 minutes.
- Add pasta and kale and cook 10 more minutes.
Updated from September 2018