This Watermelon Feta Mint Salad with red onions and radishes is the perfect summer salad. Fresh mint & feta cheese along with the watermelon are a delicious balance of both sweet and salty flavors. An easy side dish to serve at your next BBQ. Gluten Free, Low Carb, Easy.
Hello Summer…. 🌞
And even though it officially doesn’t begin on the calendar here till next week….
Where I’m from it’s already been feeling a lot like it.
Especially since I’ve been seeing Watermelons starting to pop up every where.
And there is nothing better than eating cold watermelon chunks straight outta the fridge….
Well unless you’re going to drink it in the form of Watermelon Lemonade.
REFRESHING, light and guilt-free… Gotta love it.
What you’ll need for this Watermelon Salad:
- Seedless Watermelon
- Red Onion
- Feta Cheese
- Mint leaves
- Lime juice
Can this Watermelon Feta Mint salad be made ahead:
You can certainly make this ahead but I prefer to just prep all the ingredients ahead.
Then mix it up right before serving since watermelon tends to releases a lot of water.
Just make sure to drain the watermelon before mixing up.
If you do have leftovers with a lot of liquid in the bowl you can just drain any excess liquid off the next day.
Some Fun Facts about Watermelon:
- Watermelons are 92% water.
- The seeds of watermelon are actually nutritious and NO you won’t grow a watermelon in your belly if you eat a seed.
- In Africa and Egypt people often sprinkle watermelon with feta cheese…
- Since the saltiness brings out the juice and flavor of the melon.
- Watermelon is considered a health food and is low in calories.
- Americans eat more watermelon by weight than any other fruit.
Can I freeze any leftover Watermelon:
So if you buy a large melon and only need half of it for say this salad…
You can preserve the other half by freezing it.
What you need to do is just cut it into bite sized chunks or pieces and make sure to remove any seeds.
Cause sometimes even seedless watermelons have a few seeds.
Then place the pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet and freeze till solid.
Once frozen put the watermelon in freezer safe bags.
And frozen watermelon is great to add to summer beverages. A really good adult beverage to try is these Watermelon Slushies.
They can also be made kid friendly if needed. 😉
AND IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..
I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Updated- originally posted May 2016
Until next time-xoxo
Watermelon Feta Mint Salad (Low Carb, Gluten Free)
- 6 cups seedless watermelon cubed
- 3 radishes sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup mint leaves roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice, fresh
- 1/2 tsp. salt or salt to taste
- Cut watermelon into bite sized chunks and remove any seeds
- Add remaining ingredients, give a quick toss and serve.