Southwestern Breakfast Style Potato Skins are made with only a few ingredients and they’re the perfect protein packed way to start your day. Vegetarian and Gluten Free.
So I just wanted to start off the week with what I consider to be a great family breakfast or brunch. And you know what they say<—-have you ever really wondered who they are? Uhmm, sometimes I think I might have too much time on my hands.
Oh my gosh!!! Now I’m humming to myself with Styx…”Is it any wonder I’m not crazy? Is it any wonder I’m sane at all?” Do you guys do that…? You know just a certain song randomly pops in your head for the day 🙂
Anyhow, Sorry I got a little off track but what I was saying is with Breakfast being the most important meal of the day WHY NOT make it count.
And you should make it count with these Southwestern Breakfast Style Potato Skins.
Because it makes for a better day and all when you have a good protein packed breakfast that is yummy to boot.
While you may not want to believe this, your Mamma really knew what she was talking about. Especially when she told you to eat your breakfast…pick up after yourself and the all important respect your elders.
If you only learned those few important things then the rest probably just came a lot easier.
And since I’m really only trying to help here and make your life a little easier let me share with you the benefits of making these Southwestern Breakfast Style Potato Skins:
- Packed with lots of great protein to keep you full longer
- You’re getting a good start on your veggie requirements for the day
- Mamma will be happy you’re eating a good breakfast 🙂
- Great re-heated so you can make ahead
- Vegetarian and Gluten Free
- Leftover potatoes so you can make Baked Potato Broccoli Cakes
Southwestern Breakfast Style Potato Skins
- 2 large russet potatoes baked
- 1 box black beans rinsed 13.4 ounces
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels rinsed
- 1 small green bell pepper diced
- 1 small tomato diced
- 1/4 red onion diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp. butter
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup half & half cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese of choice
- Preheat oven to 425
- Scrub potatoes and pierce with fork several times.
- Place on baking pan in preheated oven about 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in separate medium mixing bowl combine black beans, corn, bell pepper, tomato, onion, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Mix well and set aside.
- Meanwhile melt olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Beat 4 eggs with half & half, salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour eggs into pan and scramble about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside
- Cut potatoes in half length wise and scoop out potato flesh and save for later use.
- Put skins on parchment lined baking sheet. Fill equally with scramble eggs, bean mixture*.
- Return to oven and bake 10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven top with cheese and bake an additional 5-6 minutes.