These Mashed Potato Cakes are super easy to make and require only 4 common ingredients. Crispy, cheesy and perfect as a side dish or snack. Gluten Free, Easy.
MASHED POTATO CAKES
Okay friends… I seriously don’t know where to begin with these beauties.
Cause really how can you go wrong when it comes to mashed potatoes….
But then… add some cheesy goodness, green onions and bake them in the oven till crispy and it’s nothing but pure perfection😊 I promise!
So not only is this the perfect solution when you have lots of leftover mashed potatoes from the holidays….
I also find myself making mashed potatoes simply for the purpose of creating these mashed potato cakes. 😆
Yesss, they’re REALLY that good!
Tips for the achieving the BEST Mashed Potato Cakes:
- Make sure the mashed potatoes are cold….
- This is crucial since it won’t work otherwise
- And it works even better if the potatoes are at least a couple days old….
- Patience my friends... patience, so worth the wait 🤗
- Depending on how creamy the potatoes, you can add some milk or half & half cream to the cold potatoes
- Leave at least 2 inches space between them on baking sheet…
- Cause sometimes they can spread a bit when you first put them in the oven
- But you can easily push them back into shape before CAREFULLY flipping them over
- Please make sure they are done & crispy on the one side before flipping 😉
And you’ll seriously end up with some of the BEST mashed potato cakes ever.
They can also be made ahead since they easily re-heat and store well covered in the fridge.
These are great served with sour cream, plain greek yogurt or even some spicy mayo….
Perfect with almost any meal.. just think what you’d normally serve with mashed potatoes…
Only a jazzed up version of them.
So please be sure to let me know in the comments below if you make this recipe & I hope you’ll love 💛 them as much as we do!
OTHER TASTY SIDE DISHES…..
Until next time-xoxo
Crispy Baked Mashed Potato Cakes (GF & Easy)
- 3 cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions- about 2 large green onions
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup gluten free cracker crumbs
- 2-3 tbsp. milk or half & half cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile add gluten free crackers of choice to food processor and pulse till crumbs.
- Place enough crumbs on a plate to do one patty and set aside.
- Add cold mashed potatoes to mixing bowl.
- Stir in green onions, and cheddar cheese.
- If needed you can add a little bit of milk to loosen up the potatoes.
- Using an ice cream scoop spoon out enough for one patty and shape with hand and pat together.
- Place formed patty on plate with cracker crumbs and coat both sides well. Then place on baking sheet.
- Repeat process adding more crumbs to the plate till you've done all patties.
- Bake in preheated oven 20 minutes and then carefully flip and bake another 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 10 minutes before serving.