Collard Wraps with Sauerkraut and Mashed Potatoes are a healthy, tasty, easy to prepare meal. Only requiring a few ingredients that can be customized to your tastes. Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Vegan option available.
So I hope everyone’s first week of the Year has gotten off to a great start! And you’ve managed to return to some sort of normalcy after the holiday bustle.
Whether returning to work, school or just your regular routine it’s kind of nice to slow down a little bit…reminisce about it all and plan for another year 🙂
I’m EXCITED and ready!! Can you tell???
But today I’m really excited to be sharing these Collard Wraps with Sauerkraut and Mashed Potatoes.
First and foremost Mashed Potatoes and Sauerkraut have always been a favorite of mine. And I do mean together.
But just have a look at these lovely beautiful green leaves. I knew the two belonged Happily together.
And I can always remember sauerkraut and mashed potatoes as a favorite of mine even growing up.
It’s kind of one of those dishes that get put on the back burner..Well guys I’m here to bring it back in a new light.
Are you sauerkraut and mashed potato lovers? If so..you must try..and if not..you still must try!
So when I was thinking about a new Way to prepare collard greens it just seemed logical..Let’s wrap these babies with some tasty little treats.
While I chose to add cabbage, carrots and peppers to mine you could easily use any of your favorites. Or even do them solo..mashed pot-a-toes and sauerkraut ONLY!! YuMMee!!
Anyway, if you bought collards and black eyed peas to ring in the New Year with, give this one a try cause:
- This recipe will make a collard green lover out of you
- Collard Greens are packed with so many good Vitamins
- Vitamins “C“, “A“, & “K” to name a few
- Also low in calories so perfect for the New Years Resolutions 🙂
- Customizable to suit your preferences or what you may have on hand
- Gluten Free, Vegetarian, & Vegan option
Collard Wraps with Sauerkraut and Mashed Potatoes
- 1 bunch collard greens
- 2 cups mashed potatoes*
- 1-2 cups sauerkraut
- optional ingredients:
- 2 carrots peeled and shredded
- 1/2 small red cabbage chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper sliced
- For Collard Greens:
- Bring large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.
- Fill a separate large bowl with cold water and ice.
- Cut stem off end of each leaf and trim any thick part off stem.
- Carefully add leaves to boil water one at a time. You just want to leave them in for a minute to blanch them.
- With tongs remove leaves and place in cold water bath.
- Lay leaves on paper towels layering a paper towel between each leaf.
- Set aside and prepare fillings of choice**
- Spread about 2 tbsp. mashed potatoes directly down middle of leaf, next top with sauerkraut, and any other fillings of choice.
- Wrap like you would normally wrap a burrito tucking in both sides and rolling.
** I used mashed potatoes that had butter but for vegan option just omit that or use vegan butter.