This Cucumber Black Bean Salad is an easy black bean salad recipe with cucumber, black beans, red onion & cilantro. The perfect summer salad which comes together in under 10 minutes that's gluten-free, vegan, and healthy!
Simple bean salads are part of our regular summer meal rotations. Especially since they come together quickly with mostly pantry staples.
We like to switch them up based on whatever ingredients we have on hand and need to use up. Another one of our favorites is this black-eyed pea salad.
I'll usually pair a bean salad with this lemon dill potato salad for the perfect easy spring or summer meal.
🥒 Ingredients for cucumber black bean salad
✅ Ingredient notes
- Cucumber- english cucumber is recommended for this salad with the seeds removed.
- Black beans- canned black beans were used to make this a quick salad but you can cook dried beans if you prefer.
- Cilantro- if you don't love cilantro you could substitute with flat leaf parsley.
- Red onion- I don't recommend substituting the onion in this recipe, since they're the perfect onions to use in salads or serve raw.
- Olive oil- use a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Red wine vinegar- can substitute with white wine vinegar.
- Seasonings- salt and pepper to taste.
full instructions in recipe card below
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds and dice into bite sized chunks. Finely dice the onion and cilantro. Add rinsed black beans, cucumber, red onion and cilantro to a mixing bowl.
- In small mixing bowl combine red wine vinegar, lime juice, finely mined garlic and seasonings and whisk till combined.
🌶 Additional ad-ins or variations
I've also made this salad using cucumber spirals. So if you have a spiralizer you can also switch it up to a spiralized cucumber salad.
I've also included feta cheese in the recipe in the past but we like it just as much without it.
Jalapeños, bell peppers, capers or olives would also make great additions to this salad.
It will keep in an airtight covered container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
This salad can be served as an appetizer with some chips or crackers. It's also perfect as a side at potlucks or BBQ's.
If you don't have black beans another great substitute would be garbanzo beans(chickpeas).
AND IF YOU TRY THIS RECIPE PLEASE BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW IN THE COMMENTS BELOW…..I’d love to hear if you make this & how you like it. Plus please be sure to include a star rating.
Until next time- xoxo
Cucumber Black Bean Salad
- 1 large English cucumber
- 1 15 ounces can black beans rinsed
- 5 tbsp. red onion finely diced
- ⅓ cup cilantro chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. lime juice
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out seeds. Dice into bite sized pieces.
- Add cucumbers, rinsed black beans, red onion, & cilantro to mixing bowl.
- In small separte bowl whisk together olive oil, red wine vinegar, lime juice, minced garlic, garlic powder and salt & pepper to taste.
- Pour over salad ingredients and combine.
Updated post from May 2019