This Mexican Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna is layered with a cheesy sauce and re-fried beans giving it the Mexican flavors. A Family friendly recipe that is both Gluten Free & Vegetarian.
Hey, and Happy last Monday of the month to you!! Can you believe that February is almost over?
Anyway, I’m not sure about you guys but this year is already starting to fly by for me.
And since I’ve got sooo many tasty recipes I want to share this year… I’m never sure where to begin.
But today I’m sharing a personal favorite of mine. Believe it or not this recipe was based off ingredients I had on hand and needed to use.
Somehow these end up being some of my best creations. So with lots of zucchini on hand and a can of re-fried beans this Mexican Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna was born.
This is pure Comfort food at it’s Best! And since I was able to combine two of my all time favorites…Italian and Mexican..into one dish I was one Happy 🙂 camper for sure!
Hence, if you crave Mexican and Italian all at the same time this one’s for you. It’s also Really easy to throw together so it’s perfect for any night of the week.
Do you ever have that struggle in your head…Uhmm, what do I want for dinner tonight?
Do I want Italian, Mexican or for someone else to just decide. Haha…sometimes when you’re a food blogger you do want someone else to decide. And truly that can be the most challenging part of dinner time..Deciding?
So the next time you have the struggle over should it be Italian OR Mexican I have the answer for you here.
This Recipe for Mexican Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna will cover it since!
- Both Italian and Mexican flavors combined
- Easy, tasty to prepare for any night of the week
- Family friendly, leftover friendly, freezer friendly
- Great Way to get in a tasty serving of veggies and protein
- It solves the dilemma of What’s for Dinner Tonight?
- Gluten Free & Vegetarian
Mexican Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 16 ounce can re-fried beans
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes 14.5 ounce
- 2 1/2 tsp. chili powder divided
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. each garlic & onion powder
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 ounces shredded cheese I used a mix of pepper jack, monterey jack, and cheddar
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 red onion chopped
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper*
- Using 1/8 setting on mandolin slicer cut zucchini into long strips resembling lasagna noodles
- Lay on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake 10-15 minutes allowing to release some moisture.
- Meanwhile mix beans, tomatoes, 1 tsp. chili powder, 1/2 tsp cumin in small mixing bowl and set aside.
- In separate mixing bowl add ricotta cheese, egg, 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder, garlic, onion powder, and chopped cilantro.
- Then in a 13x9 casserole pan you start the layering.
- Start with a thin layer of bean mixture on bottom.
- Next layer zucchini slices, then ricotta mix, cheese mix.
- Repeat one more time ending with bean, then cheese mix.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with bell pepper and red onion.
- Place back in oven and bake additional 10 minutes uncovered.
- Can top with additional cilantro.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest 10 minutes prior to serving.