Simple Mexican Casserole is an easy to make casserole with rice and refried beans. Vegetarian and Gluten free for a dinner that is tasty and quick to throw together.
Happy Monday everyone! I hope your week has started off on a good note thus far. Now lets talk dinner, easy, tasty, and nutritious all in one pan. Who doesn’t want something easy you can throw together for dinner and especially on a Monday. Simple Mexican Casserole is all that.
So I wanted to share another one of my favorite dinners that requires very few ingredients and a short amount of time.
This just requires some rice, refried beans, and a few toppings. You can vary on some of the ingredients if you like. I mix seasonings in with my rice cause to me it doesn’t have a lot of flavor on its own.And if you don’t like spicy you could just leave off the jalapenos.
But around our house we like things on the spicy side. So grab yourself a cocktail and don’t sweat over what’s for dinner tonight. It’s also great topped with some avocado and a little lime. I love avocados so I try to get them in wherever possible and they are such a nutritious source of healthy fat.
Let’s make dinner good and a lot less complicated whenever we can.
Simple Mexican Casserole
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup plain full fat greek yogurt*
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups shredded cheese**
- 3-4 small tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 jalapeno diced with seeds removed
- 1 avocado***
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to package directions. I used 3/4 cup dry rice to yield the 2 1/2 cups cooked.
- Once rice is cooked mix it with the greek yogurt, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin. Combine well and spread rice mixture in bottom of casserole dish. Top with refried beans, cheese, tomatoes,onion and jalapenos.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes until bubbly and brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to stand about 10 minutes prior to serving.
**use cheese of choice. I like cheddar, Monterey jack or pepper jack cheese.
***avocado is optional. It is great with or without them.