So I’ve been trying to come up with various recipes using Sweet Potatoes because of all the great nutrients they provide. When I made this Mexican Black Bean & Sweet Potato Pie I wasn’t convinced how good it would be. It actually turned out really tasty so it has made its way to the blog. Yeah!!To be honest I wasn’t sure exactly what I was going for but anyway it’s similar to a pie and is packed with lots of flavors.
Sweet potatoes are one of those things I like the flavor of but struggle to find new ways to prepare them. So I may go awhile in between making them since I get kind of bored with same old thing. You know mashed or wedges were always my go to for making sweet potatoes. But I’m going keep working on some new recipes and sharing them as I get ones I consider to be good.It’s such a Nice start to the week here on this lovely Monday afternoon. I’m sitting out on my deck sharing this with you guys and looking at all the lovely flowers I got planted last week. I love when the weather gets like this and I can sit outside and work.
Anyway, back to sweet potatoes. I do have one other recipe that I’ve shared so far using sweet potatoes that was really good. Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes are another tasty way to prepare these little gems.
This Mexican Black Bean & Sweet Potato Pie is fairly easy to make and you probably could also do it in a pie pan. I chose to just spread it out on a baking sheet and shape into a pie. It was actually kind of fun. I get joy out of some of the littlest things in life.
I topped mine with roma tomatoes and cheese which I think just gave it a lot more interest but you wouldn’t have to do that. I tried a little piece without that and it was pretty tasty.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 box or can black beans(11oz-14oz)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese
- ¾ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 roma tomatoes (optional)
- couple slices provolone cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment paper greased with olive oil.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. Place in large pot of lightly salted water. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook until fork tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes and place in large mixing bowl. Add butter, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, salt & pepper. Mash with fork or potato masher. Add rinsed and drained black beans and mash again. I left some chunks of beans in it.
- Beat eggs in separate bowl then add to sweet potatoes along with cheese. Combine well.
- Pour mixture on baking sheet and shape into pie shape.
- Bake in preheated oven 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Top with tomatoes and cheese(optional)