Butternut Squash Veggie Burgers are a great addition to switch up burger night. Perfect with all your favorite toppings. The burgers are Vegan and Gluten Free.
I chose to top mine with cheese which would make this not Vegan anymore. But for all my vegan friends out there just leave the cheese off. They are equally as tasty without it.
I guess I have some what of a confession to make, Right Here, Right Now! Cheese is probably one of my biggest weaknesses.
Giving up Gluten wasn’t nearly as hard as anticipated, that adjustment came quite easily. At least once I figured out the many great substitutes for pasta.
And I did try a Vegan diet for a while but just found myself eating a lot of the veggie cheese substitutes<<< can never replace the real stuff. Ha,ha.. So happily 🙂 cheese and I finally reunited again.
You just have to go with what works for you. Converting to a vegetarian diet was a personal preference that just came easy for me. Removing gluten from my diet felt like a necessity and sure improved my overall well being.
But cheese in my mind was that one little guilty pleasure that I didn’t need to part with. Okay well uhmm, maybe I have a few more.
What are some of your guilty pleasures that you just can’t seem to part with? It’s okay, I won’t judge you for it.
Butternut Squash Veggie Burgers are definitely something you can feel good about eating. No guilty pleasure here. Well, unless you eat a big bowl of ice cream after words. But there again, I won’t judge you for that either.
So grab an extra butternut squash on your next shopping trip and, oh a bottle of Dijon mustard.
Cause the next day I ate one of these little burgers on a GF wrap topped with nothing but Mustard and all I can say is YUM..
Butternut Squash Veggie Burgers
- 1 small/medium butternut squash
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 6 baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. butter*
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 375 degrees.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper flesh side down.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until squash can easily be pierced with fork. Remove from oven, flip over and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile in a medium sauce pan melt butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Cook 6-8 minutes until onion is slightly translucent. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl spoon out squash flesh and mash with potato masher. Add cooked rice, mushroom mixture, thyme, garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste. Mix well.
- Shape into equal size burgers and place on baking sheet with clean parchment paper.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 20 minutes each side.