Broccoli Cheese Soup is loaded with lots of broccoli making it the perfect tasty, healthy soup. Oh and don't forget all that wonderful cheesy goodness. Vegetarian and Gluten Free.
I've really been into making a lot of different soups lately. And Broccoli Cheese Soup is one of my favorite soups I've been making a lot of recently.
I guess with the cooler weather and all the rain we've had it just felt like soup weather. Of course I do make soups year around since I love them so much. Rain or shine there is nothing like a tasty bowl of homemade soup.
Once you've started making your own soups you'll never buy the stuff in a can again.
Broccoli Cheese Soup is pretty much a favorite with about anyone so you can't go wrong with serving this. Who doesn't love Broccoli and Cheese?
Well, maybe as a child I remember it not being one of my favorite things...What is it with kids and broccoli or vegetables for that matter?
Do your children like broccoli? If not, make this Broccoli Cheese Soup and I feel like you'll win them over 🙂
So if you really start getting into making your own soups you'll probably find that an immersion blender comes in handy. It's so much easier to be able to just blend everything right in the pan.
You can find them in all price ranges but I think I got one for under $25 dollars and it's more than earned it's keep.
Hope you Enjoy the rest of your week and get a chance to try this Yummy Broccoli Cheese Soup!
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 16 ounces of frozen broccoli florets
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- ¾ cup half & half
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt *
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt 1 tbsp. butter over medium high heat
- Saute onion, and garlic over medium high heat about 7-8 minutes
- Add broccoli florets, vegetable broth, water, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper
- Bring to boil then reduce heat to medium high
- Simmer 15-20 minutes
- Remove broccoli mixture from heat and allow to cool about 10-15 minutes
- Meanwhile in medium sauce pan melt 1 tbsp. butter with cornstarch till you form roux
- Add half & half, greek yogurt, and stir until slightly thickened
- Set aside
- Once cool carefully mix broccoli with your immersion blender to the consistency you like
- I sometimes leave some chunks of broccoli in mine or I'll add some fresh broccoli after I've combined it
- Add half & half mixture to broccoli and put back on medium high heat
- Simmer another 15-20 minutes until heated through
- Taste for salt & pepper
- Add dash of cayenne pepper
- Add grated cheese and stir over medium low heat until cheese is completely melted
- I usually let it continue to simmer over low heat another 10 minutes