Lentil Bean Chili is an easy to prepare chili that is great with all your favorite toppings. Vegetarian, Vegan, and Gluten Free.
I really love the fall. There is just something peaceful about it to me. This is the time of year I love to start making more chili’s and soups.
And this Lentil Bean Chili is one of my favorites. There is nothing like the smell of a great pot of chili cooking on the stove top.
Lentil beans are probably one of my favorite beans to cook with because of their versatility and ease of preparation. No overnight soaks for these guys so you don’t have to remember the day before to soak your beans for this chili.
So I hope you enjoy this chili as much as I do as I have several more recipes I’ll be posting that you can use any leftover chili for.
After lentils are cooked you want to add the remaining ingredients and cook until your house smells completely amazing.
I love to top my chili with so many different things. This is completely optional but in our house it is a requirement.
This Lentil Bean Chili is perfect for the Fall because:
- It makes your house smell amazing for the Fall
- No overnight soaks for the beans
- Lentil beans are packed with so many great nutrients
- Leftover chili is great on so many things
Enjoy your yummy chili!
- 2 cups dried green lentils rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 2 to 3 small/medium fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper diced
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1½ to 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper or adjust to your level of heat
- 2 cups of water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Add dried green lentils to medium sauce pan and cover with approximately 2 inches of water above lentils
- Bring to boil and then lower heat to medium high
- Cook lentils about 30 minutes adding any additional water as necessary
- When lentils are cooked add remaining ingredients and 2 cups of water
- Reduce heat to low/medium high and cook with lid slightly jarred approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Add any additional salt and pepper as needed