Cheesy Butternut & Yellow Squash Bake is a great way to use up some of your squash. It's a tasty, simple to prepare dinner that is Vegetarian and Gluten Free.
I'm definitely a big fan of casseroles and one pan dinners. So it just seemed natural when I had squash I needed to use that I come up with one--< Hence, Cheesy Butternut & Yellow Squash Bake was born. Haha!
And it will be making its way onto the dinner table again in the near future. Casseroles are just one of those things that somehow bring comfort. Hey, we can never have too much of that. Right?
They seem to always find their way to a lot of family functions. I'm sure squash casseroles have been to many of them.
What was your favorite casserole or bake that you always looked forward to? You know the ones that people deemed only worthy for a special occasion. The kind that your Grandma would normally make on a regular basis.
You'd patiently wait all year for it to appear...You know you would.--->the Green Bean Casserole, homemade stuffing, and my fav Mac & Cheese. Now I just eat my new adult version of mac & cheese.
I've tried to approach my whole theory on eating in a different manner. Why not eat what you love anytime?
Well, uhmm maybe not? Especially if it consists of what your Mom & Dad told you not to eat before dinner.
Cheesy Butternut & Yellow Squash Bake clearly:
- Includes a healthy serving of much needed veggies.
- Tastes great with less clean up.
- Grandma approved.
- Don't have to wait for the next gathering.
I'm glad you're with me on this or at least I think you are 🙂 Good food should not be deemed worthy only for those special occasions. Clearly, Why not make everyday a special occasion?
Cheesy Butternut & Yellow Squash Bake
- 1 small butternut squash peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 yellow squash peeled & sliced
- ½ yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 5-6 baby bella mushrooms sliced
- ¼ tsp. basil and oregano
- dash of red chili pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 ounces grated cheese I used combination of mozzarella and gruyere
- 1 1/ 2 tbsp. butter divided
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese full fat
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Place squash in medium sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium and cook 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat, drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile melt 1 tbsp. butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, and garlic and cook about 2-3 minutes. Add mushrooms, salt & pepper to taste, basil, oregano, and red chili pepper flakes. Cook an additional 5-6 minutes.
- Butter casserole pan with ½ tbsp. butter. Pour in squash.
- Dollop with cottage cheese. Then top with mushroom mixture and cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. You can drain any extra liquid you may have from baking.