This Cauliflower Au Gratin is an easy side that is creamy, cheesy & delicious. A classic comfort food great served for the holidays or anytime. Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts paired together are the perfect combination for this au gratin. Gluten Free, Easy.
And au gratin in my opinion just always brings something special to the table….
So with this Cauliflower Au Gratin the addition of brussels sprouts combines two of my favorite veggies in one yummy serving. 😀
Bring on the holidays… 😆
But seriously, I really don’t need a special occasion to enjoy good food…
As I’m sure you can tell if you’ve been a regular reader here at AFCJ. I just simply love ♥ food.
And What Exactly is Au Gratin?
Typically au gratin usually consist of a browned crust which is often topped with breadcrumbs, along with cheese or butter.
In this case I opted to omit the breadcrumbs… although you could add gluten free breadcrumbs if you prefer or even crushed gluten free cracker crumbs.
Which you’ll find on top of this Cheesy Green Beans Au Gratin Bake….
And it’s also a pretty popular recipe here on AFCJ. So check it out for another great holiday side.
But anywho, back to cauliflower & brussels sprouts au gratin.
The FAM is going love you for this one….. even the ones that claim they don’t like brussels sprouts.
Ya know we all have that one friend or family member that doesn’t.. 😯
So guess what…. just mix em in with the cauliflower and they’ll never know the difference.
Recipe tips for making a good Cauliflower Au Gratin:
- Add Brussels Sprouts 😆 😆
- Make sure to par boil the veggies before mixing with cheesy sauce
- Use a good quality cheese…
- One that you grate yourself
- You’ll wanna make sure the top is slightly browned…
- Which you can do under the broiler for a couple minutes if it’s not brown enough
So I hope you get a chance to try this Au Gratin….
And please let me know in the comments below with a rating if you try this recipe!
Cauliflower & Brussels Sprouts Au Gratin
- 1 medium cauliflower head- about 3 1/2 cups florets
- 1 1/2 lbs. brussels sprouts halved
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp. chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups half & half cream
- 3 cups gruyere cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a bowl.
- Carefully add cauliflower florets & brussels sprouts (that have been trimmed and cut in half) to boiling water.
- Cook about 3-4 minutes and then drain and place in ice water bath to stop cooking.
- Drain veggies again and put in shallow baking dish.
- Meanwhile in sauce pan on stove top melt butter over medium low heat. Stir in cornstarch till combined and then add chopped onion.
- Mix until it is slightly thickened about 2-3 minutes.
- Add half & half cream and stir. Increase heat to medium high and continue to cook(stirring continually) till starting to thicken about 5-6 minutes.
- Mix in 2 cups gruyere cheese & 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and stir till completely melted.
- Pour over veggies and combine. Top with remaining 1 cup gruyere cheese and 1/4 parmesan cheese and bake in preheated oven approximately 30 minutes till it develops a nice brown crust.
- Allow at least 10 minutes prior to serving.