Italian Zucchini Roll ups are a tasty, healthier option for lasagna. They are vegetarian and gluten free.
So what started as a dreary almost the start of winter day, turned into my inspiration for dinner. These Italian Zucchini Roll Ups would solve the dreary.
Also I needed a little comfort food after the interesting Carolina Panthers football game. But my Panthers won in the final minutes and are having an incredible season 14-0. So now on to the dinner menu.
I had some zucchini in the fridge that I really needed to use up so I came up with this recipe based on some ingredients I had on hand.
Most of the time my meals are not planned by the week. When I shop I just usually look for a variety of fresh vegetables and then try to make them into something scrumptious. So with that being said this is what’s for dinner tonight.
I like making red sauces from scratch although I must admit I will buy an occasional jar of ready made sauce in a pinch. Trader Joe’s has a pretty good Organic Marinara Sauce without added sugar.
A lot of the sauces you buy have added sugar. Tomatoes are already naturally sweet and don’t need added sugar so I do try to avoid those. This recipe was made with a Marinara I created and I will share that recipe soon as well.
First you want to chop the ends off the zucchini, peel them and thinly slice. Then place them on paper towels and generously salt them so as to remove as much moisture as you can. Allow them to sit about 15 minutes and then pat dry.
Meanwhile you can make your filling for the zucchini. Then pour a little red sauce on bottom of the pan and lay your filled zucchini rolls in to pan. Top with remaining ingredients and bake in preheated oven.
It should come out of the oven bubbly and golden brown. Nothing left but to pour the Wine!
Allow to sit about 10 minutes prior to serving.
- 2 medium/large zucchini
- ½ tsp. salt
- Zucchini filling
- 1 14-16 ounce container ricotta cheese
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 large egg
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. dried parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 jar of your favorite Marinara sauce or make your own*
- 1 -2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Rinse and dry zucchini and trim the ends off. Peel the zucchini and then thinly slice.
- Place zucchini on paper towels and sprinkle generously with salt. Allow to sit about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix ricotta cheese, parmesan, egg, garlic powder, parsley, salt & pepper to taste in medium mixing bowl. Combine well.
- Pat dry the zucchini with paper towel and put generous spoonful of filling in center. Roll up the zucchini and set aside.
- Spoon a small amount of pasta sauce on bottom of pan. Then place your rolls seam side down in pan. Top with about ½ mozzarella cheese, pasta sauce, and then remaining cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes. After about 15-20 minutes remove the pan and add the tomato paste along the sides to help thicken.